Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ball joints and Tie Rods Replacement - Preferred order to change them?  (Read 134 times)

oih82w8

• CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member
  • Longtime Chevy owner...First time Avalanche owner

I am about to change the Ball Joints (Upper Control Arm w/ Ball Joint and Lower Ball Joint) and Tie Rods (Inner and Outer) this weekend.  Is there a preferred order to change these out?  I have a 2008 2WD LT Avalanche with the parts and the tools to accomplish this.  Just curious if anyone has any feedback recommendations after they did theirs.
oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

2008 LT 5.3L; K&N air filter, Magnaflow muffler, so far...

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71

I did the same thing along with the lower control arm bushings. Although if you don't have a decent press available the LBJ and the bushings are interesting to change...

The parts store "ball joint press" aren't deep enough to work on the them. At least not the ones I did.  If you are doing all that work I strongly suggest replacing the bushings in the lower control arm too. At 274k miles mine were toast. I had to use the 50 ton press at work to get mine done.

I found it was easiest to disconnect the tie rod and sway bar first. (Don't be surprised to have to replace the sway bar links.. They corrode together then you can't remove them).

If your 08 is like my '03 I had to remove the axle shafts when removing the LCA because the bolts for the front bushing hit the axle shaft.

With the tie rod and sway bar disconnected it makes much easier to move the knuckle around to get at the ball joints. I also found in my truck that it was much easier to work around the top ball joint with the axle shaft removed but I also pulled and replaced the hubs so if your not doing that you may not want to do that.
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 2.058 seconds with 23 queries.