• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Should a shop install my lift?

Chevrolanche

SM 2018
I will be installing a 7 inch Mcgaughys lift probably this spring once I'm settled in my new house. I'm wondering if it would be worth paying a shop like a grand to install it for me  I will be running fuel avengers 20x12 with nitto 35x13.5 I've never installed a lift on a truck before although I have done everything else to my vehicles in the past. I'm just concerned with parts not fitting and needing to fabricate or weld which I don't have access to a welder.

Go through the directions first then read em again and repeat just to make sure of what needs done and that you have the tools to do the whole job. I read the directions for my Pro comp 6" lift probably 10 times and went through the parts list and made sure everything was there before I did mine in the driveway. But I also have been working on vehicles most of my life and was a 4x4 tech with ASE certs for a few years too. Certs don't necessarily mean a person knows what they're doing but there is a bit of knowledge needed to get em. If you are comfortable doing almost anything on a vehicle, go for it. Just remember, once you start you may not be able to tow it to a shop so be sure beforehand.
GOOD LUCK!

What cheapazz said x2. Plus, you may need access to tools that you don't have. Just something else to think of.

one other thing... if you start in your driveway and cannot finish.... that can be expensive since she might not be towable....

Not to mention that shops that do it all the time may know some things not in the instructions that may affect the install.

Some install directions don't offer the easiest way to install things or may leave out details. So as others have said, read what it takes to do and make sure you understand everything before doing...

If you are paying $1500-$2000 for a kit... It might be well worth it to spend the $300 for labor for someone to install it for you... Especially if that shop does that kit all the time since they will be able to do it and get your alignment done etc long before you would have it done.

Rodney

Back