• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shudder/vibration under load

Blkmamba11

Hello Avy fans!

New here to the forum and hoping for some insight!

The rig: 2011 LTZ 2WD w/2.5? lift at 4 corners and 33? tires (stock wheels)
Mileage: 185k
New tranny at 170k

Issue: Prominent shudder when coming into load at various speeds/rpm. Generally starting around 30-35 mph all the way up to 55-65. Come off accept and it stops. Pass the peak of gear and it stops.

What I?ve done since start of problem:
-Replaced front and rear u-joints
-Replaced all ball joints
-New sway bar mount bushings and links
-Replaced Rack and pinions and tie rod ends
-New tires with mount/balance and alignment
-New shocks at 4 corners
-New Poly body mount bushings
-New rotors pads and calipers at 4 corners

Not exactly throwing parts at it as with the mileage it all needed to be done anyway. Rides like a dream now but that pesky vibration is driving me insane! Any advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated!!

Is this something that just started? Do you have any strange noises or anything?

I would think it is related to a run-ability issue. Could be an issue with your transmission, fuel pump, spark plugs/wires, rear end etc.

I would start with the easy stuff and replace your plugs and wires. Would also check the drive train for loose components such as the driveshaft and such. You are better off paying a shop you trust to trouble shoot the issue. They can run a scanner on it and know what they are looking for. If it does it all the time it should be something easy to diagnose if you know what your looking for.

I have had the issue you talk about due to bad plugs, wires, distributor. Since our trucks don't have distributors... Not the issue.
I have had it happen due to a bad alternator that didn't like running above a certain RPM.
In one of my first vehicles I had a shudder due to a bad bearing in the rear end. That car went to the junk yard.

So you seriously are just shooting in the dark without professional diagnostic services being done. You could have someone drive in a vehicle beside you and see if you have a tire bouncing or if they can see something strange.

Can you isolate the the shudder to front vs. back, one corner, or is it throughout the entire truck?

Driveshaft out of balance?
Dry slip joint?

Tires not really balanced since large tires are difficult and I have seen tire dealers just do what they can..

Tranny issues

Back