• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Member - 2002 Avalanche 1500 Z71 Build

rubenZ71

Hey all, hope it is Ok to post up in this section. I didn't find any other area in the forum for "Build" like threads. I just purchased my truck after wanting one and admiring from afar for a very long time. I got, what i believe, is a great deal on it, despite the work it needs done. My plan is to document as much as possible the ownership/repair and experience of this truck for a new YouTube channel I'm working on. I plan on fixing the truck and keeping for personal/winter driving, and might even consider throwing a plow on it for my driveway, if possible.

Anyway just some introductory pictures and info, and a few questions as i also search around for answers. I bought the truck as a very ambitious project, going to try to fix as many things as possible on my own. So i got the truck for $600 with the front end damage shown below. Engine wise seems solid, 133K no check engine lights present. Engine and trans seem very healthy, not major oil leaks or any apparent damage. I brought it home and got to work on the tear down asap.

Mid%20front_zpsvukzfuvr.jpg

Front_zps5znjjxwe.jpg

Close%20front_zpswkg5vb3h.jpg

Side_zpsshzvkzo9.jpg

This is were we currently stand. Was able to take a lot of the damaged components off of the front. Only loosened up the fenders because i did not realize how big they were, and how many other pieces were attached to them. I also didn't want to leave the fuse box exposed on the side of the truck if i took the entire fender off. I have already sourced a complete front end replacement parts which i will be picking up tomorrow. For now i will be purchasing a 4 Ton manual Frame Puller to see if i can straighten out the bumper holder on my own and skip a trip to the auto body. I am not sure if i will be paying for a respray entirely, i do have rocker panels that are rusty which i will be buying at a later date to have them cut out and replaced. I am thinking of prepping the car after repairs and vinyl wrapping it myself to save on cost of paint.

after_zpsfpvkhrdl.jpg

frame_zpsbaydsvz8.jpg

frame2_zpsbsqo1cqd.jpg

The impact sensor was untouched so all the airbags are intact, which is a good thing. There is no tear on the frame just bent. I have sourced all components down to the radiator support to replace. Hoping i can do the straightening myself and save the trip to the body shop for the rocker panels only. If i cannot, i will wait till i source the rocker panels as well and have them do it all at once.

Anyways, i have a few questions to see if anyone can point me in the right direction here. I currently have a battery drain, i noticed when i turn off and lock the car, my radio (aftermarket) stays on, and Yellow Security light on the dash stays on and blinking. I do have some plugs that were ripped for the front bulbs and might be shorting out. If i let it sit overnight the battery is dead next day, but if i jump the car or charge the battery it starts up and drives just fine. Any ideas on were to start looking for this? I have read about the big 3 and also common drain issues tied to cables under the passenger seat, i will start there.

rubenZ71 said:
Hey all, hope it is Ok to post up in this section. I didn't find any other area in the forum for "Build" like threads. I just purchased my truck after wanting one and admiring from afar for a very long time. I got, what i believe, is a great deal on it, despite the work it needs done. My plan is to document as much as possible the ownership/repair and experience of this truck for a new YouTube channel I'm working on. I plan on fixing the truck and keeping for personal/winter driving, and might even consider throwing a plow on it for my driveway, if possible.

Anyway just some introductory pictures and info, and a few questions as i also search around for answers. I bought the truck as a very ambitious project, going to try to fix as many things as possible on my own. So i got the truck for $600 with the front end damage shown below. Engine wise seems solid, 133K no check engine lights present. Engine and trans seem very healthy, not major oil leaks or any apparent damage. I brought it home and got to work on the tear down asap.

Front_zps5znjjxwe.jpg

Side_zpsshzvkzo9.jpg

This is were we currently stand. Was able to take a lot of the damaged components off of the front. Only loosened up the fenders because i did not realize how big they were, and how many other pieces were attached to them. I also didn't want to leave the fuse box exposed on the side of the truck if i took the entire fender off. I have already sourced a complete front end replacement parts which i will be picking up tomorrow. For now i will be purchasing a 4 Ton manual Frame Puller to see if i can straighten out the bumper holder on my own and skip a trip to the auto body. I am not sure if i will be paying for a respray entirely, i do have rocker panels that are rusty which i will be buying at a later date to have them cut out and replaced. I am thinking of prepping the car after repairs and vinyl wrapping it myself to save on cost of paint.

after_zpsfpvkhrdl.jpg

frame_zpsbaydsvz8.jpg

frame2_zpsbsqo1cqd.jpg

The impact sensor was untouched so all the airbags are intact, which is a good thing. There is no tear on the frame just bent. I have sourced all components down to the radiator support to replace. Hoping i can do the straightening myself and save the trip to the body shop for the rocker panels only. If i cannot, i will wait till i source the rocker panels as well and have them do it all at once.

Anyways, i have a few questions to see if anyone can point me in the right direction here. I currently have a battery drain, i noticed when i turn off and lock the car, my radio (aftermarket) stays on, and Yellow Security light on the dash stays on and blinking. I do have some plugs that were ripped for the front bulbs and might be shorting out. If i let it sit overnight the battery is dead next day, but if i jump the car or charge the battery it starts up and drives just fine. Any ideas on were to start looking for this? I have read about the big 3 and also common drain issues tied to cables under the passenger seat, i will start there.
Any updates on your build?

rubenZ71 said:

Front_zps5znjjxwe.jpg

Side_zpsshzvkzo9.jpg

after_zpsfpvkhrdl.jpg

frame_zpsbaydsvz8.jpg

frame2_zpsbsqo1cqd.jpg

bump...what happened with this?  was curious...i just picked up a 2002 with damage that im rebuilding as well.

You might not get a reply from the original poster he was last active per his profile :
    10/04/18 06:40 AM

Back