• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power windows slow, squeek

roadrunner777

2002, 1500, Z71, 275k miles

I have had this truck for about 2 weeks, and a problem has come up, and... well, it's a pet-peeve, and it's one reason why I changed vehicles, the old vehicle had this problem and I never could get it right.  So, to have this show up in the replacement vehicle has me a little...  :E:

Here it is:
All four power windows go down perfectly.  The problem is getting them back up.  The driver's window seems to go up normally until about 75% up, then it really slows down, almost stops.  But, it speeds up again right when it is 90% up.  The other 3 windows also do this, but not as badly. 

I know for a fact this was not happening a day ago, for sure on the driver's window, not so sure on the others. I applied a dry teflon lube to the window tracks and it got better briefly, not great, but better.  An hour later, it was back to slow again.

I read the thread 'Power Windows 101'.  Sperry.... I knew someone like that on another vehicle message board... what a loss.  What I got from that was possibly the DDM (Driver Door Module).  Now, lacking schematics, I'm thinking the power for all the windows goes through the DDM, since it has a lockout, but I don't KNOW that.

A general search for information gave me pretty even advice on different parts to replace, but I don't want to just start throwing parts at it.  I am hoping this is some common issue and I haven't been here long enough to pick up on it.

Not having schematics is holding me up from troubleshooting.  I went looking for factory service manuals and at $200+, that's not an option right now.  What are other people using for wiring diagrams?

Right now, if I have to just start replacing parts, I'm likely to go with:
1) Circuit breaker checked by swapping with another one.
2) Driver Door Module (DDM)
3) Power Window Motor and Regulator Assembly

Ok, any thoughts greatly appreciated.  I would bet this is going to get worse going into winter and I'd really like to move on this.

Thank You!

~RR

I will see what others say as I have the same issue with mine. I think it is just the window regulators are getting tired and need to be replaced personally. Mine is an '03 and the front windows do the same thing. Worse when the engine is not running. But mine do it the whole way. It could be just that the little electric motor that does the major lifting is getting worn out and not able to provide the lift it used to. The only fix is to replace the whole piece. Last I looked I thought they were available new for like $50 apiece.

The only other way it can happen is if the wiring is getting old and it was undersized to begin with so the wire is "worn out". In other words if you strip back the wire near the motor the old copper color has changed to black... I call this "worn out" but in fact the copper in the wire has oxidized or burned up causing more resistance in the wire thus causing lower voltage thus causing slow windows.

The '02 is different than the other years but in '03 each door module controls the windows. They are controlled by the Master controller in the drivers door but they all actually power their own windows and door locks. The '02 MIGHT be different since a lot of stuff still goes through the BCM in '02 that have been moved to other modules in '03.

I would bet it's the window regulators.  Three of my four windows do that.  The one that comes up nice and fast is the one with a newer regulator.

Thank you!!!

You know, Amazon prices change all the time, but if anyone is looking, the front PAIR, both doors, regulators with motors for $55.  That's really unbeatable, and I have spent a lot of time looking.

Be wary of Amazon for the window regulators.  I bought one and replaced it myself and it was worse than what I was replacing.  I ended up getting an OEM from Chevy at over $300...  But.  That one window still goes up faster than the other 3.

I was actually getting ready to post on this.  I started thinking, the way I am finding things on this truck, it's funny, it's pristine in many ways.  I opened up the door panel and I don't think anyone has been in there.  The plastic seal was tight and perfectly placed.  So, I washed the rails and guides down with WD-40, applied a dry lube to the rails, and some white moly to the plastic guides.  Now, with the engine off, it slows down a little bit, and with the engine running, it's perfectly fine.  So, I'm calling it good for now.

Marking this as solved.  I have a quick fix, and there were great comments on replacing the regulator too.  Thanks everybody.

Added: Too good to be true.  Window is great, but now the outside handle doesn't return all the way.  I have to push it the last inch to go flush.  All I did was spray WK-40 and lubes, but I had a major time trying to get the door panel back on.  Oh well, it's gonna be Monday before I get back to it.

roadrunner777 said:
Added: Too good to be true.  Window is great, but now the outside handle doesn't return all the way.  I have to push it the last inch to go flush.  All I did was spray WK-40 and lubes, but I had a major time trying to get the door panel back on.  Oh well, it's gonna be Monday before I get back to it.

Don't use WD40 to lubricate.. It will work initially but will dry out and start collecting dirt.

Yeah, I probably should have expanded that a little bit.  I used WD-40 to wash away existing dirt and old lube and wiped it dry, and followed up with a dry lube.

You are absolutely right, by the way.  I worked at Hewlett-Packard many years ago, and they had a problem with people using WD-40 on linear bearings.  It's ok if you follow up with a lube, but alone, it simply washes the surfaces down to bare metal.  The fluid properties of WD-40 do help for a short time, but you will be worse off after the heavier solvents in the WD-40 evaporate.

I found a thread on the door handle, did WD-40 and dry lube, it worked great, so... at the moment, everything about the driver door is working properly, all at the same time! A first!  Now all I have to do is find something to remove silicone overspray from the glass, but this too shall pass.  :D  No, his makes me really happy.  My previous vehicle had all kinds of issues, all in that door, so I'm smiling big!

Thanks!

Back