• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

starting problem on 03 1500

SheepDog

Hey guys, my 2003AV1500- Z71 is giving me fits. Started 2 days ago. Went to start the truck and it seemed like the dash gauges/lights had a quick little shorting flash... I tried to start it, but just got that dead battery clicking sound. So I charged the battery and tightened the cables at the battery. The battery is just 1 yr. Old. I tried starting it and it started right up. However, the next time I tried the dash went dead. Like no power dead. Tried once again and held the key in the start position for about 5 secs., and it slowly started cranking until it started. All day yesterday it did this intermittently. It seems like if its warm it'll start right back up, but if it sits for 15mins. Or more you have to hold it in the start position until it decides to crank over. I've checked all the basics Battery good,cables good n tight at Battery, fuses, ing. Relays, checked the keys, key tumbler and ignition switch.
So my questions are:
Does this seem like a bad starter problem to you?...or a bad ground problem at the block.or starter?...can I test the start if I remove it somehow to know if it's the problem??.. has anyone experienced this before?...Thank you any help is appreciated.

The first thing I would do is have the battery LOAD TESTED.

Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

New means nothing.

If the battery has a dead or dying cell, or some other defect, you will see the things you describe.

Start by verifying your battery is in good health, then go from there.

(y)

Thanks Ext4me...I made the mistake of checking the voltage after it was charged from running.... I'll have to get a load tester from somebody and test it right...
But before I saw your post , I was rechecking Voltage.
I charged the battery to 12.87V and started the truck. It sat for an hour and was at 12.58V..
That was last night this morning it was 10.48V at the battery, but when I turned the key it slow cranked 3 times and fired right up on the 4th... how did it start at 10.48V ???....does this tell me I have a bad cell or a short draining it?.... I'll get a load tester and check it. Thanks again.

Back