• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2011 LTZ v 2013 LTZ

HarryHardy

I'm about to pull the trigger of our first Avalanche purchase. I have gleaned some information from this excellent forum that helps me slightly with my decision but I wonder if I can just grab a straw poll of opinions?

The choice is between a 2011 LTZ (mocha metallic) or a 2013 LTZ Black Diamond (white tricoat). They have pretty much the same mileage (around 104k and 105k miles respectively) and good service records. The 2011 is in very good condition with just a couple of expected dings along the front of the hood. The 2013 has a few scuffs and scratches, mostly superficial looking but with a shallow dent in one door. It's had a change of muffler and exhaust, I assume, with a twin and rather louder exhaust fitted. After some hard negotiating on both, the drive-away prices would be $23,500 for the 2011 and & $25,500 for the 2013 (both inc. tax etc).

Considering the above and all other things being equal, I wonder which way people might be tempted to go - would you decide that there enough little extras in the 2013 Black Diamond LTZ over the 2011 LTZ to justify an extra couple of grand (or 1500 if we can get another $500 off)? I'm not sure that there are many - I don't know if any change to the nav screen is significant or example. I guess I'm seeking personal opinions rather than anything definitive, and recognize that it might come down to gut feeling.

Thanks in advance!

Harry.

Welcome to the club... make sure that you crawl under each truck and check for rust... and see if they will let you lower the spare tire!  (y)

The advice I usually give any used vehicle buyer is to look carefully about the maintenance and upkeep records of each vehicle and see if one has better and more frequent maintenance. Also look at where the vehicle came from and how many owners it has had over time. Frequent owner changes could show that hidden problems exist or history of damage due to flooding or accident that is trying to be covered up.
Reports from services like CarFax only list reported damage and repairs so if something happened and the owner fixed it himself or took it to a small independent shop it may not get reported.
You are looking at a 2 year difference in AVs and only 1,000 miles in odometers, so that is kind of a wash. Unless one was driven into the ground and the other driven like the proverbial little old lady to church etc.
Specificaly on the 2011 I haven't heard of a mocha metallic paint job so i don't know if that is a custom or limited paint which may be expensive to repair. Then does the 2011 have the painted upper cladding? If not and you want it it may cost you a couple thousand in parts,labor and paint to get that look.
On the 2013 it is the last year of the AV and already has the painted cladding and EXT third brake light. Sounds like more paint repairs involved and the White Tricoat was a special added cost paint and as such may be more expensive to repaint. The exhaust may be a sign of a more aggressive driver and in turn more wear and tear on things like the brakes. You don't seem happy with the exhaust and to get a good stainless replacement cat back system could cost you around $800 or up to get a non droning setup with lifetime warranty such as Corsa or Magnaflow so that would have to be a cost you need to consider.
If I were you I would test drive each AV and if you are not a mechanic I would take them to a shop you trust for an appraisal and maybe even an estimate on possible repairs and use that as a tool to negotiate a good price on whichever AV you prefer.

WHat different options do they have?

I don't presume to speak for the original poster but I was thinking he was at least comparing apple to apple with the fact that he was looking at LTZ to LTZ and that would be the most optioned for each year with limited options available. I know the painted upper cladding would have been an option in 2011 but standard in 2013. Also some 2013 owners reported some decontenting in 2013 but special badging and the book added since last year of production.
Things of course you don't know is what have the previous owners changed out to mod the AV when they owned it. Exhaust was mentioned on one.
All that being said ygmn you are right in that the poster would need to see the glovebox RPO code sticker and go line by line to see exactly what options the factory equipped the AVs in question as a starting point.

Many thanks for the responses so far - much appreciated. Heck of a busy day so I'll find more time to reply properly soon.

Just purchased my first AV. I have been looking at them for a couple months now (have loved them since 2002)... waiting for the one I wanted (or as close).. almost felt like I was looking for a unicorn.
Purchased 2011 LT / 80k miles / 20k OTD
- Had to have Summit White (this was my starting point every day on my search - skipped over every other color)
- Had to have heated seats
- Had to have bluetooth
- Had to have leather seats
- No leaks in the bed after drive through car wash
- Under 100k
- No rust
- No sunroof
- Wanted backup cam, only in the mirror. (didn't have it in the one I purchased). May add aftermarket. Going to search this forum for options/suggestions.
- Clean carfax / no accidents reported / one owner (I know these aren't always accurate - but good to know info)
- Newer tires / brakes
- Hoping to get a couple years out of the rims before changing. Will change to chevy stock black matte anyhow.
Those were some of my wants... and what I have now with my AV.
There was one cancer spot on the driver side rear fender panel, dealer fixing.
Picking my new truck up today!
Purchased weathertech mats for front and back and window wind deflectors.
Not sure if this helps... but, wanted to share just the same.
Good luck!

Note the head unit NAV upgrade from DVD based to HDD happened in 2012 - significant, but still cant read texts or stream bluetooth. However, I don't need to BT with the music on the HDD (or thumb drive)...

Back