• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Avalanche Systems Problem

davey73

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been here. Unfortunately, I'm here because I've encountered a big problem with my 2003 Avalanche.

The other day I was stopped at a red light and all of a sudden my Avy just stopped running and just about all my electronics including my gauge cluster, radio, and climate control all went dead. Even my phone charger wouldn't work. I was able to start the truck and park it. I tried to put my hazards on, put it wouldn't flash and just stayed stuck solid. I couldn't even unlock the doors using the unlock button. At first, I thought it was the alternator. I had it towed to my local mechanic. the next day, he informed me that it was not the alternator. He said that most of the fuses and relays in the plastic box inside the engine bay weren't working. He seemed a little stumped as am I. The mechanic said it could possibly be the computer and is also checking something that is in my steering column. 

So, I'm here hoping somebody can help me figure out what the problem could be.

May be the ignition switch.  It switches a lot more than just the ignition.

With the over all system failure that you are experiencing, some with always hot items I do not believe it to be your ignition switch.

It is more likely a major power feed or ground issue. If only some areas were affected I would suggest some of the grounds such as under the drivers door but since it is everything I would be seriously looking at the main power wires. The ground going to the block, the power going to the starter and any off shoots those have (Such as the power going to the under hood fuse box) and the ground strap that runs from the block to the firewall.

The under hood fuse box can get mice in it as well and they love to chew on wiring so it would be possible for the under hood fuse box to be housing a mouse under it that has chewed up some of the wiring so pulling the fuse box to check under it is a good idea as well.

Unless your battery has something major wrong internal (which is unlikely) I would be surprised if it wasn't something mentioned above.

The truck will start with no effort. But will run for only a short period of time.

davey73 said:
An Ignition switch would make all my electronics in my truck not work?

Pretty much.  Quite a lot of switched power in these trucks based upon key position.

Spray Electric Switch & Contact Cleaner into the ignition and work it a few times.  See if that resolves it.  If it doesn't, then I would look elsewhere.  Whatever happens, post on here what the final outcome was so that followers know.  agree with looking under the power box under the hood.  Since you stated the fuses weren't working instead of blown, that tells me energy is no making it to the distribution panel.  Look for cracked and broken joints.  Thought a wire may look intact, give a slight pull on it.  Wow, what a head scratcher.  Good luck with this. 

Check all battery cables.
Check all engine grounds.
Check mice damage to wires.

Back