• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Air Intakes

JVZL1

PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
    The 04 I bought has a K&N air intake. Don?t care for an open air boxes. I was caught
behind a Simi flatbed with a pup loaded with grass straw with no tarps.  :cuss:  :cuss: :cuss:
Slowed down still got blasted.
Got home cleaned off the front of the Avy and radiator. Opened the hood the air filter is covered with straw.  :D:
So it confirms it. It?s coming off.

Looking at the Volant PN 159816 & PN 3506064. Has anyone used the down tube?

http://volant.com/searchquery.aspx?year=2004&make=Chevrolet&model=Avalanche&submodel=2500

Yes, I'm running the stock air box with a K&N filter and the Volant down tube which fits around tow hook and catches the air from the opening. It works great, intake temps went way down when driving down the road. They pretty much mirror the outside temps unless your sitting, before they they would always be higher then the outside temp by 20 to 30 degrees.

I just cut a hole in the bottom of the air box and mount with a hole saw and used a silicone hose up into the air box.  I left the opening in the fender and put a rubber flap over it to keep air from being drawn in from there. It will open if there's ever a restriction like snow or water. 

Attachments

• 35060_sm.jpg
    35060_sm.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 8
Just my .02 and reading older threads about using the down tube........I would worry about sucking up water,snow,dirt etc. with the intake so low. I know of one person who had a low intake on a Ford car and he killed his motor by sucking up water. So not sure the minuscule advantage of cold air being worth the anxiety and potential damage.

Yup, I agree with the lower type air intakes. A few guys used to run with those on the B Body caprices until the first guy messed up his engine sucking up some water during a heavy rain storm. Without going to some sort of Snorkel, ram intake, or cowl induction I don't know how you are going to get air in there without sucking up water. I also know guys who sucked up water with the ram air intake and hydro-locked their engine because they hit a big puddle. The factory location does pull in air from the outside and I guess I am just not sold that another location is going to be better without major modifications to the truck.

Did you not read what I wrote??

"I left the opening in the fender and put a rubber flap over it to keep air from being drawn in from there. It will open if there's ever a restriction like snow or water."

Maybe I wasn't clear, its a safety valve that will open in the event it gets blocked.

To answer your question, yes I did read your original post. I am glad the mod worked for you with your custom mod added.
I just wanted to present the flip side of the coin in that I have heard/read more negative then positive by using the down tube and the original poster should do some research on older threads in order to make up his mind. (I was using shorthand and did not post every thought at the time.)
I have not seen any independent dyno reports (not the manufacturer's ads) to show that adding the down tube gave actual torque and hp gains so much so that it negates the expense to buy and possible negative effects. If there are gains are they at maximum speed or at some normal driving pace and conditions?
I imagine that outside air would be cooler than in the engine compartment but is it really much cooler coming off of hot pavement?
So again just my .02 but I would save money and just get the Volant and stock intake location. But to each his own,
As my late mother-in-law used to say "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla." so everyone can choose what they like and be happy.

Yep, to each his own..

But there is no down side, water can't get in. I would have to be driving through 2 feet of water to put the down tube under water which if happens I've got bigger problems. As far as HP/torque there is approximately a 3% loss in HP per 10 degrees rise in air temperature, it has to do with air density, it's also why dynos have correction factors for temp and humidity, look it up. With the rise in temperature the computer will pull timing to reduce knock and reduce performance and mileage. So keeping intake temps as low as possible only helps. Like I said I measured intake temps before and after and there's big difference, especially when driving down the highway..

Volant makes a mud/water proof pre-filter cover that fits over their Pro 5 and Powercore filters... might be good off road-winter season protection for the snorkel and ram air crowd.
http://volant.com/accessories/prefilter.aspx

greatgab said:
Volant makes a mud/water proof pre-filter cover that fits over their Pro 5 and Powercore filters... might be good off road-winter season protection for the snorkel and ram air crowd.
http://volant.com/accessories/prefilter.aspx

No mater what system I go with a pre-filter will be used. I was considering getting one for the K&N. But the straw scenario just
pushed me to get rid of an open filter.
Thanks to all. I will do more research on the down pipe. Randy could you post pics to help me and maybe others.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 48 pages I'll Be Back.    :needhug:    :laugh: 

I will as soon as possible.. 

JVZL1 said:

Found this some good read.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=7930.0;all

48 bottles of beer on the wall stuck in my head.  :beating: :beating: :beating: out with you.

JVZL1 said:
  Found this some good read.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=7930.0;all

48 bottles of beer on the wall stuck in my head.  :beating: :beating: :beating: out with you.
Take one down, pass it around 47 bottles of beer on the wall  :laugh:. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Yes Randy I read it as well.

So let me ask some questions...

Do you believe you are pulling more air or just colder air from the bottom?

Since the factory location already pulls cold air from the fender area it is hard to see how it would be colder?

The Ram intake feature would have to overcome the added turns in the duct work and any turbulence that isn't there in the factory location to make a difference. At low speeds I would expect the Ram intake to be less efficient.

With the fender area also available I would suspect your still getting SOME air from the fender if the other air intake isn't fully supplying enough.

I don't know. Guess I am more questioning it and looking for answers than anything else...

Good God people.. Ram air has been used on probably every type of motor sports there is to bring cooler outside air into the intake of engines and your questioning it's effectiveness.. It works, don't like it or believe it don't do it..

The Volant 3506064 came in. Yes I went for the tube and PowerCore filter.
                    Must of been the 48 bottles  :laugh:
Installed all but the tube. Had to get it swapped in meeting the guy buying
the K&N.
  Put the prefilter on. Had an extra put one on the down tube on the box. 
So far very quiet even on acceleration. PowerCore filter? I get a little noise
like tire road noise when cursing. Will research more or maybe just get
use to it like tires on the 03.

Waiting to here for my exhaust to be put on, then tune.
Somewhere in there will be an Amsoil Dual Bypass filter. 

Still have my AEM brute force it has a wire mesh over it so all the crap falls off,

Let the big dog breathe cause it does suck up a whole lotta air

JVZL1 said:

The Volant 3506064 came in. Yes I went for the tube and PowerCore filter.
                    Must of been the 48 bottles  :laugh:
Installed all but the tube. Had to get it swapped in meeting the guy buying
the K&N.
  Put the prefilter on. Had an extra put one on the down tube on the box. 
So far very quiet even on acceleration. PowerCore filter? I get a little noise
like tire road noise when cursing. Will research more or maybe just get
use to it like tires on the 03.

Waiting to here for my exhaust to be put on, then tune.
Somewhere in there will be an Amsoil Dual Bypass filter. 

(y) (y)

Decided check the avg. eccon on the Avy with the new air box. 

15.7  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:  (y) (y) (y)

11.6 When 30mph ended.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here's a couple of pictures, one of the intake at the tow hook opening and below where it bolts to the cladding..

Attachments

• Downtube1 - Copy.jpg
    Downtube1 - Copy.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Downtube2 - Copy.jpg
    Downtube2 - Copy.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 25
  Thanks Randy

Just wanted to give a little update.
Never liked the sound of the K&N. I can?t even explain the sound under acceleration.
So the Volant has a nice throaty BBC roar under acceleration and a hint of what?s to come cursing. 
                              :B:  BBC  :love:

Back