• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake codes in the glove box

ronin70

OK I have a question, I need rotors and pads on the truck, looked in the glove box and looked at a HUGE mess of numbers and saw G80, so I guess that is the codes for the bigger rotors and dual calipers correct? Do we have a cipher to decrypt all those codes on here somewhere ~lol~.

G80 refers to (G80  Differential, locking, heavy-duty, rear )
You are right in that there is a thread on this site to show the codes for various year AVs:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,84494.0.html

It helps us answer you better if you put the year and model of your AV in your signature since parts can vary. If you have a first gen AV (2002-2006) you can do a mod and get the larger second gen AV (2007-2013) brake disc and calipers if you have 17" rims or larger FYI.
Here is the thread dealing with brake upgrade:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=122524.0

Were the big brakes for the 07's and up ever available on the 02/06? On my 2006 the brake code is JH2, 7200lbs bakes hyd. boost. Do I have the big bad brakes or are the ones on the 07s and up bigger and badder?

dna9656 said:
Were the big brakes for the 07's and up ever available on the 02/06? On my 2006 the brake code is JH2, 7200lbs bakes hyd. boost. Do I have the big bad brakes or are the ones on the 07s and up bigger and badder?
07 brakes on early avs Never a factory option
Someone just figured it out and made it work for others to follow.

07 brakes on 06 is best bet

Only difference in brakes that I have heard of were between police and non police versions. No other difference between brakes on the 1500 trucks. 2500 trucks only had one variation as far as I know. Don't know that they had a police version.

I would suggest just going with the 2007 brakes for anything 2002-2006.

The Tahoe police package was a higher grade silicone in the seals and a better pad.
This was to help with fad with aggressive use of the brakes. Not a real up grade
for the Avalanche. 
  Like ygmn posted. With it's a bolt on with a great improvement. 

dna9656 said:
2nd gen avy, 07-13, have bigger brakes up front. You can change the pads, rotors, calipers and caliper brackets to achieve the upgrade. The new brackets use the same mounting holes as the original one making it a simple upgrade. Just make sure you don't have an aftermarket wheel that won't fit over the new brakes.

ohiobellboy said:
2nd gen avy, 07-13, have bigger brakes up front. You can change the pads, rotors, calipers and caliper brackets to achieve the upgrade. The new brackets use the same mounting holes as the original one making it a simple upgrade. Just make sure you don't have an aftermarket wheel that won't fit over the new brakes.

If you use the 2nd OME calipers you need 17" or larger rims. If you go aftermarket
you need to follow their recommendation. With aftermarket rims beware of off set. 
If you have a factory spare it's most likely 16" and will not fit the upgrade.

Back