• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What are the hooks for?

Avawrench

Ok, I've been trying to figure this out for years ... on the 2004 tie-down points, there's the closed loop, and then there's a little rod that sticks off on one side. If it pointed towards the hinge it could be used as a hook to loop a bight of rope around, but it points AWAY from the hinge, so anything would just slip right off of it. Does this have a special purpose (like a custom interface for the optional tent or something), or am I overlooking it's obvious usefulness in everyday rigging?

If I remember my 2004 correctly is is just a handle to allow the loop to fold flat against the side or you grab the "handle and pivot the loop out for use..
The 2007 and later had fixed tie down points so they are built differently from first gen AVs.

Thanks for the response! I did wonder if it was to help pull it away from the bed wall, but since it is made from the same diameter stock as the closed loop, and lays just as flat against the bed wall, so I ruled that out as its purpose ... but maybe it is!

I'm still hoping for someone to blow my mind with a can't-live-without-it hitch for securing loads ... like pull a bight through the loop and hook it over the rod ... but nothing like that ever seems "right". Someone sure put a lot of effort into bending and welding a ton of those things.

It's for the cargo net that you see in SUV's in the back to put the grocery in.

ronthehandymanga said:
It's for the cargo net that you see in SUV's in the back to put the grocery in.
not a CHEVY AVALANCHE option...

Hooks are for the hard bed cover storage bags when filled with the covers
Meant to go on passenger side and bag hooks onto these hooks.

Later generations just got storage strap contraption.

Chevy added repeat set of these hooks to driver side to be nice and provide some tie down points.

Straight leg of these hooks allows you to grab them and manipulate them as needed for your strapping....

ygmn said:
not a CHEVY AVALANCHE option...

Hooks are for the hard bed cover storage bags when filled with the covers
Meant to go on passenger side and bag hooks onto these hooks.

Later generations just got storage strap contraption.

Chevy added repeat set of these hooks to driver side to be nice and provide some tie down points.

Straight leg of these hooks allows you to grab them and manipulate them as needed for your strapping....

09F70F21-32A9-4FB5-8EBB-220272182FC3.jpeg

Shown here with the bed panel storage bag.

The straight leg on my hooks have a rubber boot.

BedPanelBagMountedLowerRightAttachment_zps88b2c7f0.JPG

Alrighty, I'll just lower my expectations of that 'handle' and won't worry that I'm missing out on a cool feature. Thanks all!

Avawrench said:
Alrighty, I'll just lower my expectations of that 'handle' and won't worry that I'm missing out on a cool feature. Thanks all!
Solves that. Now if you don't want to miss out on a cool feature. Pull the cupholder tray out of your console if you have one. Makes for a great hiding spot for stuff.

Back