Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 Transmission Question  (Read 138 times)

Morty601

• Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!
2007 Transmission Question
« on: 09/11/18 08:51 AM »

First I would like to apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere but I couldn't find them.  So with that I'm pretty sure I killed my trans this weekend, wont shift past 2nd gear.  Everything is pointing to it needing to be replaced.  I have a few questions on what I should do or get.
Like others on here I would like to get a little spin out of the back tires for fun times.  I have friends with same motor as mine, 5.3L, in a Silverado and they have no problems.  What I've read on here is b/c of torque management.  Would a different torque converter and transmission fix/alleviate this?  Basiclly I'm wondering if I should just put in a stock remanufactured 4L60E or go with a "street performance" transmission?  As a side question, has anyone done the swap to a 6 speed transmission?  Thoughts, benefits, worth the trouble?
I have a 2007 LT with Z71 package.  Have added cai, maf, and throttle body.  I have a diablo predator turner as well.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Full Time Firefighter/Paramedic
2007 Black Avalanche LT Z71
Bull Bar, Billet Fuel Door, Bak-Flip Tonneau Cover, Rancho Quicklift Struts, 2" Lift, 275/65R20 Tires on XD rims, K&N CAI, Jet Throttle body, Jet MAF, PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
Re: 2007 Transmission Question
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/18 09:07 AM »

Just food for thought, The Silverado is lighter than an AV in the rear and doesn't have the same weight distribution that an AV has.
It never hurts to beef up a stock part but remember if you strengthen one part of a drive train then continue to "abuse" it, weaknesses will show up in other areas such as your differential or some other parts.
Torque management was used in the AV to try and save the borderline transmission and to help with gas mileage. Not sure if going to a 6 speed transmission is going to help you in the performance category since it was added in 2009 to improve gas mileage not acceleration.
As with most posts about performance mods to an AV I remind posters that the AV is a poor starting point to make a performance vehicle since it is a 6,000+ lb. suv built on a Suburban chassis with the aerodynamics of a brick..That doesn't mean you can't improve it somewhat but like speed shops like to say when a customer ask "How fast can you make it go?" Their reply is usually along the lines of "How much money you got?"
Some AV owners have used a Magnacharger supercharger to improve towing and acceleration without hurting the gas mileage too bad.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

Morty601

• Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!
« Reply #2 on: 09/11/18 09:13 AM »

Thank you for the advice.   :thumbsup:
Full Time Firefighter/Paramedic
2007 Black Avalanche LT Z71
Bull Bar, Billet Fuel Door, Bak-Flip Tonneau Cover, Rancho Quicklift Struts, 2" Lift, 275/65R20 Tires on XD rims, K&N CAI, Jet Throttle body, Jet MAF, PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer

enoniam

• LS Fest 2017
« Reply #3 on: 09/11/18 06:20 PM »

Your mods so far don't add 10% more power or torque - a stock replacement transmission would be fine.  A higher stall torque converter would help give a bit more punch.  Torque management does hurt a bit, but Silverado's have it as well.  They can spin the tires because they have a lot less weight over the rear of the truck.
2003 with ATK 460 HP 6.0, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and true dual 3" exhaust, Truetrac rear, 3200 Circle Stall, tranny upgraded with 4L65 and other heavy-duty parts, Weld Racing 18x10 forged wheels, HPTuners custom tune, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster, DeatschWerks booster fuel pump, 58#/hr injectors, 13.3 @ 101 in the quarter mile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 24 queries.