• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Blower Resistor Module, any preventative mods??

Avawrench

So, there are a ton of threads where people have lost their blower resistor module, and all the ones I've read end in "replaced the part" or "replaced the part again". Is there anything we can do to help prolong the life of this part? Do we know why they are dying left and right? Insufficient airflow? Water penetration? Has anyone tried something like additional waterproofing, or adding a larger heatsink?

Sure fix the water leak so you don't get moisture on it.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=152794.msg2163336#msg2163336

I didnt tear apart the cracked airbox, and was running under the assumption that the water that dripped off the evaporator coils was supposed to collected in the bottom of the airbox (where the resistor module screws in) and then drain through the firewall. Is the evaporator supposed to have its own drip-tray inside the airbox?

Well, took a look at some videos of people chopping up their airbox to replace a broken evap coil, and it looks like the condensate should be drip and be drained away in the same housing as, but well below the level of the resistor module. I'll check for a clogged drain again. Might be time to borrow a scope to really see what's happening in there.

Perhaps the fan motor is going bad and is drawing too many amps and burning out the blower resistor module.

Well, after some investigating, my repair to the cracked airbox is holding water properly, and the drain hole is open, so the only way that water could be getting to the resistor module is from above. I peeked under the screen that keeps leaves out of the cabin air intake at the bottom of the windshield, and it sure looks like the previous owner removed some sort of glued-on-with-foam-tape cover directly above the blower motor. There is only tape residue around the edge closest to the windshield, but there is paint discoloration all the way around. Does anyone know what should go here and how it should be attached? I can fab up a metal plate to cover the hole, but should it seal all the way around to keep out the elements, or is there some special consideration about keeping that hole unsealed/vented/etc towards the front of the vehicle?

Perhaps a trip to a local salvage yard and have a look at similar vehicles would give a clue as to what used to be at that location.

There are many different GM trucks that probably share that part.

Just carry with you the tools you think you would need to access that part.

And you might get you a replacement part, as well.

Back