• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2008 Avalanche 4WD LTZ towing.

a 2000 SS in jersey

This came from a FAQ on this forum and matches the specs on our Avalanche.
We have the 3.73 axle. If I changed the ring and pinion to a 4.10 is that all that is required to be 7900 lbs capability??

I am also contemplating some minor engine performance up grades.

SO HOW MUCH CAN I TOW?
        Trailer towing  1500 2WD 1500 4x4  2500 4x4 
3.73 axle ratio (lbs.)    7200        7000        9,900
4.10 axle ratio (lbs.)    8200        7900      11,900

Thanks
Bill

You can make all the modifications in the world but at the end of the day, you can't change your Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. You can do a swap to the 4.10 and that'll help improve your towing, but you'll still be limited to your original rating.

Read sticker in the door.

GCWR - truck weight - truck cargo weight = what you tow.

Even if you change anything and should something go wrong and terrible happens... the little sticker governs...

Thanks, I understand about the sticker and the Gross numbers.

So, tell me what else is different in the Vehicles that are rated for 8000 lbs?

If all Chevy did was change the rear ratio and the sticker.

Thanks

That's really the only difference. Just remember that if you upgrade to a 4.10 on a 4x4 the front diff has to be changed too and I think the speedometer has to be recalibrated.

Do not have a good answer.
  If you are asking about the Avalanche it?s the difference between 2 and 4 wheel.
Difference of weight between the two. As far as the pickups is it the difference in leafs V coils? Frames are different.

I did a lot of upgrades on my 03 for towing. About all I had left was 410s and bigger/stiffer sway bars.

I was reaching the upper limits of capacities and trailer length. A lot of read on how I can tow way more.

Family, Others, The Law, and Liabilities. I made the decision  on a 2500. 

Just a few things you need to know, the weights are dry weights.

Meaning no gas no passengers no luggage no water.

A tank of gas which is 31 gallons weighs 215 pounds then add the passengers and all the luggage(food) would put you way overweight. Then there is the tire load range of the 1500 LTZ you would need at least a D or E load range.

Then there is the stock hitch another whole different story.

The LTZ has a pretty soft spring, me personnal would never try towing the weight with a LTZ 

What trailer are you looking at that weighs 7940 pound if it's more than 22 feet it usually does not work out well.

ca2kjet said:
That's really the only difference. Just remember that if you upgrade to a 4.10 on a 4x4 the front diff has to be changed too and I think the speedometer has to be recalibrated.

Oh yeah. I was not thinking about the front duh!

Thanks!

MS03 2500 said:
Just a few things you need to know, the weights are dry weights.

Meaning no gas no passengers no luggage no water.

A tank of gas which is 31 gallons weighs 215 pounds then add the passengers and all the luggage(food) would put you way overweight. Then there is the tire load range of the 1500 LTZ you would need at least a D or E load range.

Then there is the stock hitch another whole different story.

The LTZ has a pretty soft spring, me personnal would never try towing the weight with a LTZ 

What trailer are you looking at that weighs 7940 pound if it's more than 22 feet it usually does not work out well.

I should have mentioned the existing trailer we pull is just under 5000 lbs fully loaded. So no issue there even without any mods. I was simply considering the upgrade to help the Avalanche along.

I use an Equalizer hitch with anti sway. It handles well. We are considering a new trailer. So was trying to figure out if we were going to need a new tow vehicle.

Thanks for the info!

JVZL1 said:
  Do not have a good answer.
  If you are asking about the Avalanche it?s the difference between 2 and 4 wheel.
Difference of weight between the two. As far as the pickups is it the difference in leafs V coils? Frames are different.

I did a lot of upgrades on my 03 for towing. About all I had left was 410s and bigger/stiffer sway bars.

I was reaching the upper limits of capacities and trailer length. A lot of read on how I can tow way more.

Family, Others, The Law, and Liabilities. I made the decision  on a 2500. 

Thanks for the info!

Back