• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AV 2500 Squeaky belt

Could be an idler pulley or the belt tensioner pulley going bad.

I chased some front engine squeaking a couple of years ago.

I finally installed a set of Goodyear Gatorback belts and the problem went away instantly and never came back.

Other brands of belts I tried did nothing to help.

I have a bunch of barely used name brand belts in the garage somewhere waiting to go in the trash can.

Goodyear no long makes the Gatorback belt.

Contenintal now makes their version of the Gatorback belt.

This appears to be the same belt as the Goodyear and works quite well.

I put on a fresh set earlier this year and they are working perfectly.

(y)

Does it sound like a chirp?

Drives you nuts doesn't it, or at least it did to me.

When you buy the belt they are going to ask which alternator you have Stock is 105 optional is 145.

Makes me feel like I'm driving a junk.  That's the farthest from the truth.  Truck is perfect. Had them change belt when I bought it.  Still doing it. Crazy.dealership is going to have to fix it. Even though 30 warranty is up.  Just trying to narrow it down for them.

One way to test for a BELT squeak is to use a spray bottle with plain WATER and lightly spray the belt with the engine running.

Belt dressings are bogus and a waste of money, IMO.

You won't need very much water on the belt.

If the squeak or chirp goes away instantly and comes back in short order, the belt is most likely the culprit.

Like I mentioned above, I had to go through several name brand belts before I found the one that cured the noises.

Good luck with your repair.

(y)

Look in the back of this section.

2002 2500 avys had issue with belt squeak...

TSB written by chevy way way back in 2002 I think.

Is that the one about the Power steering pump alignment.

Back