• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Steering wheel issue and piston slap noise?

mdovenmuehler

Steering is great and seems to not have any issues, however when turning left on the steering wheel there seems to be the slightest stop before it turns just fine, had to say really or explain it, the steering pump and arm I believe were replaced by the dealer before we bought it, they believe its just air pockets in the lines as that's normal when replacing the pump, arm and lines, however seems really odd to me. The wheel has no shake, turns just fine as well.

Now for the second thing, Ive read a lot on the forums about piston slap and tbh im not sure if it is that indeed or something. It only makes an odd clicking noise from the engine area when its cold or when I first start the truck, after a few minutes or drive time it goes away and the truck runs smooth as butter?

Ticking noise in the engine bay when cold that goes away as the engine heats up can be a broken exhaust manifold bolt.

Somewhat common, especially given the age of the truck.

If this is true, then a fairly inexpensive fix.

I am glad you are enjoying your new truck.

(y)

First welcome to the site!
You might want to put the year and model AV you have in your signature so you don't have to repeat yourself for every thread you post about a repair or mod.
Some things are year and model specific and it also helps those trying to answer if they know a little something about the mileage etc. Also are you taking the dealer's word about maintenance or does the parts look new?
I hope you get many happy and safe miles in your AV.

Piston slap sounds like valve ticking on cold engine start up and goes away as engine warms up...

Due to piston having too much clearance when cold and is pretty short so it rocks and slaps piston wall at bottom of stroke changing direction from down to up.

best to let engine warm prior to putting in gear takes only few seconds for noise to go away  maybe 30 or so in winter.

STEERING issue

have all ball joints checked out...
Have steering shaft checked..
Have CV joint checked if 4x4
SO many things it could be.

If you think you have air... jack up front end and turn truck left to right few times to get air out... with engine on...make sure fluid level proper

Vaeagleav said:
First welcome to the site!
You might want to put the year and model AV you have in your signature so you don't have to repeat yourself for every thread you post about a repair or mod.
Some things are year and model specific and it also helps those trying to answer if they know a little something about the mileage etc. Also are you taking the dealer's word about maintenance or does the parts look new?
I hope you get many happy and safe miles in your AV.

changed my sig, thanks for that.
I did check the parts as well verify them with the actual service sheets and docs given to me, def look brand new, if not they know how to clean used parts very well. As for the steering I will check into the few things mentioned here, thanks for all the help.

Back