• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Time for a 90,000 mile tune....

9mcatdaddy

Original owner - 13 years and 92,000 original easy miles and I think it is time to schedule a tune up.  I am still getting 19 mpg on the fwy and 17 in town.  Besides changing air filter and sparky plugs and checking the hoses and belts under the hood what should I be looking for?
No leaks from the water pump and never changed a fuel filter...
If I were to take it in what is a reasonable cost expectation?  Trans fluid looks and smells good.  Still has the original brake pads.
Changed the 4x4 transfer case late but oil and engine oil every year at about 5K miles with regular dino oil.  No weeps or seeps anywhere.  I love this big old Red Truck.  Only had to change a ox sensor and ABS sensor in all these years. Looked at new and nothing really floats my boat like this has.  New technology is nice like back up camera and blue tooth but that would cost me this truck and $25,000... 

Looks like you have a good one.

That gas mileage is respectable.

One thing I would even consider is maybe changing the spark plug wires, and only if you feel like it.

Giving the MAS and the throttle body a good cleaning is always a good thing to do.

Dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter and topping off the transmission fluid afterwards is usually a good practice every 50K miles or so.

Changing the the front diff, transfer case and rear end fluids at the same time, wouldn't hurt.

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and requires removing the fuel pump to service.

With the age and mileage of your truck, you are approaching the common point where the fuel pump may go out.

So, I would just let that bump until you need to make that repair.

It may still be a while yet, or it may decide poop out in the near future.

You can never tell. 

Other than that, I would say just drive the thing and keep up with your good maintenance schedule.

(y)

Oh, and you can add a back up camera and blue tooth to your existing truck for far less than the cost of a new rig.

(y)

enoniam said:
I'd also change the 2 front O2 sensors.

This!  I just got codes that my front 2 are bad.  I ordered them yesterday.  I think I am going to go ahead and change all 4 O2 sensors though.

Back