• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Just browsing... share your thoughts here Avalanche TOW/Expo rig

Saint Urho

Hi Everyone
I'm researching the Avalanche as a tow vehicle for my anticipated travel trailer, and maybe as a replacement for my 2010 Xterra Offroad expedition rig. My SO has made it clear that the minimalist pop-up trailer we currently have will need to be replaced and a larger trailer with more amenities will be required.

The new trailer will be greater than 3500 gvwr which is within the xterra's 5000 tow rating.. but with all the additional weight of skids and gear on the xterra I'll be pushing the limits a little more than I want... as a Safety First advocate I'd rather have a bigger tow rig (weight and wheelbase) then get pushed around in my little SUV. I also think the Avalanche platform will give me an easier way to bring my bikes (currently they ride on top of my tent trailer) once I change to an enclosed travel trailer.

I've done some preliminary research.. but I can' figure out:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Does the Avalanche have a dual range transfer case? Hi and Low? or is it full time AWD?
[*]It appears that there are 1500 and 2500 versions of the Avalanche? I've only seen the 1500 advertised for sale locally (Calgary AB Canada).

[/list]
It appears that there are other Avalanches modified for improved off-road performance (small lift, off road shocks), but that it's no where near as easy as modifying a jeep Rubicon.. I have an Xterra.. I'm used to that. Anyway, looking for feedback and input from the forum. Not looking to purchase until 2020 when I'll find my self with way more exploration time.

The Avalanche has high and low gear on the 4x4s. As a side note, the Cadillac version of the Avalanche has an AWD setup.
1500s are the most common and easily found. 2500s are a dime a dozen.

Based on the overall towing and hauling you'd be doing, a 1500 should be more than adequate. If you want more towing "umph" look for one that has the 4.10 rear gearing.

2500 Avalanches were only available in the first generation which ended with the 2006 model year. Second generation 4x4 Avalanches had an Auto mode in addition to HI and LOW. The unicorn of Avalanches would be a 2009 6.0 V8 with the six speed transmission. Good luck with your search and make sure you take a good look underneath to check for rust before you buy!  (y)

I'm selling my 2008 in Calgary.  It is supercharged.  You'll never have ANY issue towing again.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-chevrolet-avalanche-ltz-4x4-supercharged/1387197839

Back