• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Does 2003 Bose Premium Amp have diifferent sound from Suburban/Yukon Bose Amp?

22off

My amp went out (sub stopped working) and the only amp I found at Pull-a-Part was out of a 2003 Suburban.

The part number was 15054674 vs our 15054672 and the main difference is that our amp label clearly says Crew on it. The amp worked fine and powered on all the speakers.

I assume there could be a difference in the way these get "tuned" by Bose for a different size and volume of the cabins but then the speaker and front layout is exactly the same, the rear adds one 3.5" rear gate speaker in parallel with rear door, and the motherboards from the amps looked close to identical.

However, I cant tell if this is just in my head, but I dont like the sound now. There seems too much midrange and although bass sounds maybe louder the voice and mids don't seem as clear. I tried all the sources CD, radio and Aux and althought at first it sounds ok, makes me tired after about 20mins of listening.

Would anyone know detail if there is truly a sound difference between the Bose Amps for Av (part no 15054672 GMT800), Tahoe (15054673 GMT820) and Yukon XL (15054674 GMT830) so I can stop thinking about it. The search does not reveal anything and there was one similar question on Google without info.

Thanks!

I would assume that with having different part numbers that they have different applications. Hence difference in sound.
I would think BOSE could be more help.

Thanks, the same here.

Just how to get in touch w them about 15yr old GM car is the question. Getting used to it a bit more, Fader one notch towards back, bass to max and now one or two notches on treble levels the mids pretty good. I'll give it time but still would be nice if someone can find details about differences. The front sound stage in my opinion should be identical for the door speakers and tweeters. For more volume in the cabin maybe more bass which is also good. Not sure why the mids like voice and guitar sound loud/muddy but I'm no Bose expert as it always is different from what one would do in a home theater etc.

They are dumb amps and not programmable at all, however there may be something different on the circuit board.

Agreed, that's why I compared the motherboards before using new one. Hard to tell unless someone can get to Bose data. Thanks man

There should be no difference in the amplifiers. They may have been made by different factories or different batches. I ran into this for my CTS radio. There are no less than 12 different part numbers for the NAV unit that are all the same unit. Just different build times on them from what  I can tell. You can likely go online on one of the GM parts places and put the number in but it is pretty likely that if the unit has the same plugs and looks similar that it is the same.

The BOSE lower end amplifiers only have a crossover network inside and I highly doubt those are different for different trucks. Especially when in the same model year. Any GM Truck BOSE amplifier with the same option code as your truck for the radio should have the same amplifier. 2003-2006 should all be the same amplifier.

Note that I said radio code because the Cadillac has a different radio configuration with a different type of amplifier in it. I don't know if any other trucks came with the upscale Cadillac style radio but if they did it would have been listed in the RPO codes. I could look in the manual to see what codes were compatible with which amplifier but don't really have time at the moment. MS03 also has access to the same information.

Rodney

Rodney, I am curious if you would be able to find the interchange website you used for your parts? I am attaching photos of what the two amps descriptions look like. Note the GMT 800/805 CREW description on ours. I just never found interchange that showed 15054672 matches 15054674

Thanks!
Igor

Attachments

• Bose Amps.png
    Bose Amps.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 5
22off said:
Rodney, I am curious if you would be able to find the interchange website you used for your parts? I am attaching photos of what the two amps descriptions look like. Note the GMT 800/805 CREW description on ours. I just never found interchange that showed 15054672 matches 15054674

Thanks!
Igor

I a really busy with school work so I don't really have time to do this but if you go to any of the GM parts places and put in both of those numbers you should get the latest version of the part and they should match .

gmpartsdirect etc.

When I was verifying if the radio I had was correct I put in the radio listed in the "hack the nav" thread (On Cadillacowners forum) which was also the same unit that I have torn apart in a box. When I put that into one of the gm parts places it showed a different number radio and said "Replaces" and had the part number in it.

When I ran the new radio in the same place it did the same thing and showed the same part number as the replacement for it.

Rodney

I'm curious too, where is this mysterious website at that can give you Bose information like that.
:laugh:

If you type the model number into the Gm direct selling dealer sites it gives you the current replacement number...  There are only like 3 of those that I am aware of... Probably more...

You can do the same thing at the dealer... Find a part and they will tell you what it was replaced with.. Its not rocket science... If you put both part numbers in, the one you have, the one your looking at, the replaced/updated part number should be the same...

22off said:
Agreed, that's why I compared the motherboards before using new one. Hard to tell unless someone can get to Bose data. Thanks man

Hey 22off if you are still around, try doing what I did. I did a bose Lux upgrade that had separate lines for the D pillars speakers.

I bought a set of stock d-pillar speakers and installed them in the C-pillars

normal_tweeter.JPG

If your radio has the sound modes like concert etc it creates some interesting sound effects.

If your pick a parts place still has the donor burb grab speakers and cut out the grills too
I suspect your amp thinks it is pushing 4 speakers.

PS there never has been any published specs on any Bose GM speakers

That is pretty cool MS03. I tried the lux upgrade about 10 yrs ago even (that is when I drilled holes to replace my amp easier), but the lux amp and unit was expensive. Not sure it is worth messing with it nowadays. I decided to just get the original part number the next time I run into a crew cab at the yard. I was able to adjust my Rockbox equalizer setting to drop the mids some for now. Not right sound, but closer as my iPod is in the truck most of the time. I figured without specs and the interchange numbers that do not fit, I wasted enough time with this but it was good to get many replies here. Thanks all

I agree that it is not worth it today.

Back