• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking for advice on my new Avalanche

Ralphy

Hi guys, First time post. Was looking for advice on things to look for and to watch out for on my new avalanche. I just picked up a 2002 with 81,000 miles It is a 2500 with the 8.1L vortec. The vehicle is in really good shape considering it is 16 years old. It isn't perfect but In much better shape than my last avalanche that I sold at 230,000 miles. The vehicle is bone stock. It does look like the brake lines have been replaced which is good as I know it was a common issue for that generation of GMs to have the brake lines rust out. I plan to use it as a tow rig, and the first modification I plan to make is installing a brake controller I think it is a just plug in and go on this truck. But if anyone has any experience with the big 8.1L please fill me in, I was very familiar with my last avalanche but that was the 5.3L.  Also opinions on fixing rust, the "cab corner area" is starting to show signs of rust. Is it worth fixing? the vehicle will be driven in the snow and salt hauling snowmobiles fire wood and who knows what else. The rust is hiding behind the cladding, SO out of sight out of mind? or is there any value in having them fixed?

First welcome to the site!
Fixing rust is preventative maintenance and prevents problems when you least expect it. If you just plan to keep the AV a couple of years you may get away with ignoring rust or just doing a cheap coverup fix. But if you plan to keep the AV for a long time an put it under heavy use you would do yourself a favor and fix things right way after a thorough inspection. Once repaired i would protect the underside with some good quality undercoating to help prevent it's return. That will give you piece of mind and in the long run a better price when you sell the AV since it will be in better condition then all the neglected AVs out there.
As far as looking for problems you can find sections on this website devoted to the 2500 AV showing good, bad and mods for your liking.

x2 on fixing the rust if you plan to keep it for any length of time.  I had a '91 S10 Blazer that I loved but let the body rot get out of control. Mechanically it was still great and the interior looked fantastic - even after 215,000 miles.  I just let the body get to far gone.  I still kick myself to this day for letting that happen.

Back