• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Seeing more Avalanche abandoned or left for scrap

Not around here in the south...

If you see one it is being driven by someone.

I have not been checking the junkyards or salvage yards but most AVs I see are on the road or on used car lots for sale..

I think the AV is at that awkward age where it is showing signs of aging and in some cases neglect so it will take time and money to fully restore, yet is still cheaper to fix then buying a brand new truck. Problem is parts are probably getting hard to find and even when restored the AV doesn't have all the latest "bells and whistles" of a new vehicle.
Only time and customer demand will decide if the AV will go down in automotive collector history as and oddity such as a Corvair or Pacer or become a desirable collector car such as a Corvette. Just my personal belief but I think the only way to have AVs still on the road years from now is to keep what we have well maintained and get them on the road creating warm memories to the younger generations so they develop a love of the AV and it's good times and want to recreate the memories with their kids etc.
To better answer your question ckeene maybe we should buy those old AVs and use them as restoration projects for our teenage kids or grandkids so they can develop a fondness for the AV. Or even try to get them to be donated to the area vocational schools and auto learning centers as a charitable gift.
As a last resort maybe tell those scrap yards about this website so they can join and put up notices of parts available for sale and pass them on vs. letting them deteriorate further.

Well up in the northern states where it gets cold and stays cold in winter salt is not much of a factor if you drive the AV and not let it sit. 02-03 AVs sell for 2-3 thousand so if the tranny goes out it does not make sence to replace it. So yes they are plenty of AV in pick a parts places and they are not rust buckets or wrecked.

Another thing is you can lease a Dodge Ram quad cab for 131 dollars a month :dunno:
Most people are not die-hard fans like us.

Now in Kentucky it's a whole different game rust buckets everywhere and good parts are hard to find so its worth the trip up to Michigan for parts.

I agree MS03 2500,
In a vehicle's lifespan it can reach a point where it's more expensive to restore then replace. That is why looking at restoration from a practical or financial decision hardly makes sense.
It is up to those optimistic emotional owners to preserve a bit of automotive or family history and again only time will tell if the AV will be a forgotten piece of history or be the next million dollar barn find for future collectors.
The auto restoration/hot rod auctions are full of cars that someone spent $100,000 to build and when they sell they only get $30,000 . Many owners hope for the small percentage of builds that go for well over their cost though.

I still see several Avalanche and many black diamond editions in great shape here in west tx (midland/Odessa). But also rough ones....saw one the other day painted with house paint.

I can say this, a couple weekends ago I took some stuff to our local junk days.  The guys at facility asked how I like my Avy to which I said I love it.  Then all of them, about eight in total both young guys and older all flocked around it asking questions about it, my cup holder mod, the Snug Top, the midgate, back window, etc.  They all genuinely liked and we're facinated with it. 

Back