• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fuel pressure question

dogmus

2006 Z71 (5.3 Z vin, flex fuel) with 105,000 miles. Picked up the infamous P0172 and P0175 codes a while back. I've ruled out all of the sensors and anything related to the air intake side through exhaustive testing and have it narrowed down to a fuel delivery problem. I tested the fuel pressure today and have a solid 52 p.s.i. with the key on/engine off. The pressure is dead on 57 p.s.i with the engine running at idle and fluctuates smoothly when accelerated/decelerated. My question is: Knowing that the specs indicate 48-54 p.s.i. at idle, would the 3 extra p.s.i be enough to throw the engine rich codes I'm getting??? I'm thinking the answer is no but I'd appreciate your input before moving on to the injectors.
I'll ask for your trust when I say I've ruled out pretty much anything that we normally look at when these codes come up. I've even done the fuel comp. reset and the codes come back. My LTFT's on both banks are pegged at -19.5 but the STFT's appear to be perfect at idle (-3.5 to 3.5 but mostly hovering around zero, they will jump to -5 or -6 briefly when the rpm's are kicked up).
Thanks for your time.

The theoretical math on this is that the fuel flowed goes up with the square root of the pressure increase.  You've gone up less than 6% above the top end of the recommended pressure range which should give you less than a 3% increase in fuel flow.

This is what the book says....

If the value is not more than -20 percent, inspect for the following:

?  With the engine idling and the transmission in the Park or Neutral position, observe the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor parameter. The MAP sensor parameter should be between 19-42 kPa.

?  With the engine idling, observe the mass air flow (MAF) sensor parameter. The MAF sensor parameter should be within 2-6 g/s at idle.

?  Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections

?  The air intake duct for being collapsed or restricted

?  The air filter for being dirty or restricted

?  Objects blocking the throttle body

?  Excessive fuel in the crankcase due to leaking fuel injectors

?  The evaporative emissions control system for improper operation

?  Excessive fuel pressure

?  Malfunctioning fuel injectors

?  Fuel contamination

?  The HO2S for improper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have contacted the exhaust system

?  The HO2S signal circuit shorted to voltage

Back