• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Avalanche with 6" lift. What gears?

Spyder7892

Guys,

I have a 2007 avalanche LTZ 6.0 with a 6" fabtech lift running 35's and I am needing to regear the truck.  I do mostly highway drive (not my DD though) but I also tow about 6000lbs about once a month.  I am trying to decide if I should go with the 4.56 or 4.88 gears.  Will the 4.88 make much of a difference over the 4.56 from a towing aspect and also does anyone have a guess at the mpg drop by going with the 4.88 over the 4.56?  Also, where i would love a little extra pulling power will I still be able to run 70 mph with ease running the 4.88 gears?

If anyone could recommend some good gears and a good supplier that would be great.  Also is there anything else I should look at upgrading other than the gears themselves?  I have been running the setup I have for quite some time now (about 90k miles) and while the truck is by no means the quickest, it does what I need it to.

Thanks for the help!

I would stay away from 4.88 unless you plan on going higher and bigger rubber in the future.

I've run 4.56 in my 02 AV for 15 years, I never gave them a second thought. Also if you are really thinking of doing some wheeling, while you are changing gears, you should throw a decent locker in the rear, ditch the POS G80, you'll thank me.

Back