• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need a little advice on a 2008 Avalanche purchase

B

So I have two cars.  07 4Runner with 118K and a 09 Forrester with 31K. 

I was looking at Avalanches and there is one for sale close to where I live in Illinois.  One owner, LT package with 78K miles.  Backup camera after market installed.  Sunroof yada yada.

In theory I have two decently strong cars.  Both of which I kinda like, however would rather just own one.  I am thinking about moving to the Av as it would allow me to move my triathlon equipment, and seems like it would be an okay daily driver.  I use the Forester as the daily and the 4runner for tri's and going to work out.

I am a little worried that I am buying issues in trading two cars for the one AV. (they want an even two for one swap).  Both my cars are decently maintained, however usually Foresters seem to max around 125K and 4runners can go over 200.

Seems like if it were a 2011 that JD Powers would say it was a good deal it however is a 2008.  I understand that the 07's had some issues.

I AM NOT A MECHANIC.  So I read things and am not sure of what they mean, however when I hear about electrical issues and oil issues I worry.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

There is not much to add it's still 10 years old. The 07-08 are pretty much the same, they made quite a few changes in the 09 model.

First welcome to the website!
When you look at any used vehicle it's the maintenance and history that have the greatest effect on whether a vehicle is "worth it" or not.
If you do a check on websites like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com you can get a fair market price on your vehicles as well as the Avalanche you are looking at based on options etc. Be warned that things like a CarFax report only will have reportable repairs and accidents and flooding info if the previous owner took it to a reporting repair shop. If they took it to a small independent shop or fixed it themselves it will never show up.
Then you ave to look at websites like this one with an open mind realizing that if you concentrate on the "problems" section you will get very discouraged about an AV. You have to realize that the majority of owners don't belong to this website and that only a vocal minority do frequent posting and if it's a problem some members post in various threads so it can get exaggerated. Face it very few members post things like "I drove my AV today and nothing bad happened!"
You will get a different opinion if you look at threads of very high mileage clubs, multiple AV owners and questions about "if you could would you buy another AV?"
Then we even have threads about rumored next generation AVs which happen every year since the news was announced in 2012 that the 2013 model year would be the last of the AV. 
One thing you need to realize is you are coming from a relatively smaller more economical vehicle compared to the AV which is built on the Suburban frame and drivetrain, it actually weighs more than the same year Suburban so it's gas mileage will never be great due to the weight and it's lack of aerodynamics. You need to drive it like an old man and try to avoid stop and go driving with rapid starts and stops.
What you will get in trade is a more roomy, versatile and comfortable ride.
As with any 10 year old vehicle it may require some TLC but assuming it's not it to bad a shape you should get many happy and safe miles in an AV.
Good luck.

Back