• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Rust repair

mikes2nd

So I found a flaw in these car, at least the 2007...

I believe the rockers will all rust near the "rocker" right in front of the rear wheel.

The metal is extremely thin, mine have both rusted and I opened it up a bit and I noticed there is a structure in there.

I believe this is what causes the failure here so often.  Basically the brace does not allow the water to dry, it keeps constantly wet in that area.

It struck me as strange how rust could happen up along side a panel? How the heck could you get rust two inches up along the side without the bottom going bad first?  Water runs down hill right?  Well after popping a drill in there i hit the brace that is rusting out right in that corner.

I might do a repair video but I am going to try to get it done before winter hits Ohio.

I did notice someone selling those patches.  The metal is so thin, I dont even want to try to hit it with a welder. I drove a drill through it and it litterally "tore" the meal like paper, certainly not solid sheet metal.  I may only need to glue a panel in or something and fiberglass.

Yeah that is a problem, try a patch panel

3M makes a 3M? Panel Bonding Adhesive that may be easier than welding the panel in.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3293241847&rt=rud

First gen have a horrible design defect in that area that provides no access since it's trapped between two sheet metals and to add insult to injury they applied foam which just holds all that stuck moisture.

The second gen (2007+) thankfully has a completely redesigned panel structure and no more foam. The rust is NOT caused by trapped debris or water in the sense that stuff gets in there and doesn't dry. There's plenty of large drain holes down there. Instead, it's caused by environmental changes. Humidity, temps, etc.

What causes rusting in that area is simply this; condensation. Yep, that's all it is. And depending on where you live the more it may be happening. Thankfully I caught mine soon enough that the few tiny paint bubbles have stopped and the internal panel was fully and thickly coated with a rust converter and then encapsulator. I will continue to monitor over time and that is now part of my yearly maintenance routine.

After putting a camera into that panel area (there's a grommet that you can access through on the underside of the body) I could tell that all the rust forming was general surface rust exactly where moisture would collect on the walls from condensation. At the end of the day, the problem comes down to a lack of coating on the internal panels. There ain't nothing anyone can do to stop condensation from forming on the rocker area unless you live in a dry climate OR you air sealed it. So for anyone who doesn't see paint bubbles there yet, COAT THE INSIDE NOW!

Another area of concern happens to be caused by foam. If the two panels aren't perfectly sealed at the bottom of your gas tank filler, water will seep down and get trapped at the foam right beneath. Again, if you don't see paint bubbles there now, double check the seam and if necessary apply a sealer like POR15 seam sealer or equivalent. Just unscrew the 3 screws that hold the filler cone in place, push away and seal seam. I had to remove some of the foam under there, cleaned out the rust, treated it, and then sealed the seam.

The things we do to keep these things lookin good...  :E:  :love:

Back