• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Knocking sound inside the engine!

DaveInSoCal

Hello All,

Well, after 226,000+ miles of service my 2005 Avalanche Z71 has decided to take a break from full time driving duty.

This knocking sound I thought at first might be a stuck or collapsed lifter, had the shop take off both valve covers and so an engine flush after inspecting everything top side.

No go, its definitely coming from INSIDE the engine.

I have posted a You Tube video clip in the post below.

So for now I have "non oped" the registration and took the insurance off of it while I investigate what options I have.

My truck is as clean as the day I bought it 13 years ago and its a shame this had to happen just as I got a new job out of town!!!!!!

And I just put a new set of tires, shocks and an alignment on it.........

Damn, this sucks.

If anybody has any opinions/comments I'll be listening.

I'm thinking of getting a rebuilt crate motor and just have it swapped out.

Daveinsocal

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 10
Crate motor would probably be the fastest way to get your AV back on the road and to get another 226,000+ miles out of your AV. Some have even upgraded to a 6.0 motor instead of a 5.3. You might have to upgrade parts in the transmission too.
I don't know what type of insurance you had on your AV but you may want to reconsider dropping the insurance since full coverage would protect the AV in the event of vandalism, larceny of parts from it or house fires and sometimes other disasters. You could lower the liability some by stating it will be driven very few miles per year in it's current state. Also I don't know about the local laws in your area but in mine you can't have an inoperable unregistered vehicle in a yard it will be written up as a junk or abandoned vehicle and towed away and homeowner held responsible.

Thanks for your input/reply!

The Avalanche is being stored in a garage during its hiatus, but you do have a point about getting some type of limited coverage.

My insurance agent brought this up when I originally took it off of my policy, I can always revisit with the agent and get some minimal coverage.

I still take the truck down to the curb (private road) to take the trash down each week so to keep everything oiled up and functional.

I just have to save up some extra cash to first buy the crate motor and then pay somebody to put it in.

I will then probably part ways with my Avalanche as I have leased a new/smaller car to commute back and forth to work with for now.

Thanks again for your advise!

Daveinsocal

I have an old 1993 Ford Explorer that is only used as a spare when one of our other vehicles is out of service.

At one time, it was my only 4WD and it was used instead of our other vehicles on the rare times it snowed.

I had my insurance guy classify it as a "recreational vehicle" since it seldom gets more than 1000 miles a year on it.

More like 700 or less.

That is very minimal coverage, but I am protected it I drive it and I am at fault in an accident.

If I crash it or someone steals it, I am probably just out of luck.

But, that's the chance I am willing to take.

A couple of years ago, a guy smashed into the driver's front fender and it was "totaled".

I took the pay out and bought the truck back for $78.

The payout was more than enough to fix and paint the truck and do some repairs that I had been putting off.

It looks and runs better now than it has for years.

(y)

Thanks for sharing that!

I believe the minimal coverage your referring to is "basic liability coverage"?

It covers the other guy in case your at fault in an accident.

But yeah, I believe I'll need to get some coverage after I get the engine repaired/replaced as depending on my options I may just keep it and use it to haul the trash down to the street and any towing as I have a small utility trailer.

My new/leased car (2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback) cannot tow!

HAHAHAHAHA

Daveinsocal

Looking at my policy, you could say that.

Basic liability.

The insurance company made me sign an affidavit for the first few years, stating the current and annual mileage.

They haven't done that for the past few years.

My six month premium is $110.

I autodraft that and all of my other premiums together each month.

Has anyone used a mechanic's stethoscope to actually localize the source of the noise?

I once had a noise in another vehicle that I was convinced was an engine knock. Turned out to be inside the exhaust system and was an easy fix.

buickwagon said:
Has anyone used a mechanic's stethoscope to actually localize the source of the noise?

I once had a noise in another vehicle that I was convinced was an engine knock. Turned out to be inside the exhaust system and was an easy fix.

(y)

My thoughts. If no stethoscope a screwdriver, pry bar, anything that can carry the harmonics.
Just my .2. Good luck. As far as a create engine look at the 6.2.

Hey Guys,

The knocking sound is occurs constantly at about 1/2 the speed of the RPM's when the engine is running.

I believe it may be something to dox with the cam or a bearing.

Its going into the shop next week and I'll update what owe find out what the problem is.

D.

That age and mileage it is very likely just an issue with the exhaust manifold.

Mine had 4 of the 12 bolts broken when I had heads replaced and 2 more snapped off when he was removing them.

Rodney

Dunno,

The sound is too metallic/scraping in nature to be an exhaust leak?

But its something that I'll have them look at just the same, thanks for your input!

By golly you'll never guess what I just discovered!

I have 3 manifold bolts missing!!!!!!!

I in the middle of the passenger side.

2 front and rear on the drivers side.

I wonder if this could be what's making that horrible noise!!!!!!!!!!

I owe you a drink REDHEADEDROD

Im going to take it back to the shop and have them take a second look at this recent discovery and see if this is indeed the cause of the ticking/knocking sound.

My 2005 had over 200,000 miles.  Really bad knocking
Sounded bottom of the engine
Dropped my oil pan....
Oil pickup tube O ring... hardened and broke in half when I tried to remove
Replaced O ring....new pan gasket and oil and filter change

5000 miles later....2 round trips up the east coast on I 95.  No more knocking..... AT All

Even when cold start.....no lifter noise either

Just saying......

What was the result of taking it back to the shop? That knocking and ticking sounds just like mine at times.

knocking and ticking generally is one of three things before diagnosing a bad motor...

Oil pickup tube (Oring goes bad...)
Exhaust manifold bolts snapped off or gone.
Other exhaust leaks prior to the cats can also do this but generally sound more like an exhaust leak than a tick.

Rodney

Just an update........

Took my Avalanche to another shop in town, they immediately diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter!

Also they caught the broke off exhaust bolts without telling them.

So, about $1500 to take the heads off, put in new lifters and of course check the cam it it needs to be replaced.

I set up an appointment for July 15.

D.

seems like you found a good shop in process...

Make sure they also replace the oil pickup tube and oil ring to prevent further damage. Unless you can do it yourself.

Well your appointment isn?t until July 15..... so you have time to fix your truck before spending 1500 dollars

Remove the oil pan....
With the mileage you have....  the o ring on the pick up tube is BAD....  that is not even debatable
Replace O ring.....pan gasket.

I?m willing to bet that fixes your problem.

The thing about your post that caught my eye was......they immediately diagnosed bad lifters...
How would you do that?

Back