• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tailgate coming apart

avfd123

I have a 2005 Avalanche 2500 with 175,000 on it. Love the truck. I get a whopping 11.4 miles to the gallon pulling my camper or not. My only complaint is the tailgate is coming apart. The fiberglass cover is coming apart from the frame of the tailgate. I am not sure if anyone has had to do this but I guess I need to take it apart and re-glue everything. Has anyone done this or attempted it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Joe

Haven't heard of any coming apart on their own.. Use a panel adhesive to make a permanent repair..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-PANEL-BONDING-ADHESIVE-38315/301607874601?epid=20017014777&hash=item46393af029:g:Lt4AAOSwF1dUMzK7:sc:USPSPriorityMailPaddedFlatRateEnvelope!95037!US!-1

I have not had to do the tailgate repair you posted about and one reason is I use a Bedrug to protect the surfaces of the bed and tailgate. Then the biggest thing to protect the tailgate and cables from wear and tear is a good Bedslide device to keep weight and contact off of the tailgate and make loading and unloading the bed much easier. (You never have to climb into the bed to retrieve things big or small.)  I've been using the same device since 2004 and never had a problem.

I purchased my Avalanche used and the tailgate was already coming apart from the top. Someone previously used double sided tape to hold that together. I use it as a truck so I have put some weight on the tailgate. I noticed it sags under weight so I did not continue to do that. I think I need to take it completely apart into 2 separate pieces, clean everything and use panel adhesive to put it all back together as long as I dont break anything taking it apart.

Are you talking about the tailgate spoiler?

We had a 2003 Escalade EXT and the previous owner had a trailer hitch go through the outer skin. We found a replacement in the correct color in great condition, but the inner plastic was burned in an interior fire. We had to pull the outer skin off and swap it over. The factory used automotive grade double stickey tape and that is how we put it back together. No issues.

My tail gate is in great shape on my '06. I bought a swing over ladder that screws to the deck of the tail gate. It is strapped across the length of the tail gate; That's a huge help for me and my issues. When i need to get in the in thruck back there I just swing the ladder over and up I go, even the wife uses it.

Back