• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Changed diff fluid on 2004 first time.

armenjs

Hello
For 2004 2wd 1500, Today I changed differential fluid with Valvoline 75w-90 syn. The oil didn't look too bad and didn't have a stinky smell. 
I used Felpro gasket and Permatex ultra grey rtv. The hardest job was getting the old gasket off with razer and clean it to a bright and shiny status. Not too bad overall. applied rtv to the pan and to the gasket and gently placed it and screwed the top screw and hand tighten it and a bit of rachet help. waited for 1.5 half and torqued it to 25 then 28. spec shows 30ft/lb torque.  After fifteen min. filled her up. with 2.75 qts.  IMP use small zip ties to see the fill level getting close. 1inch below the fill hole Don't overfill.  The fill hole bolt you can never flat the way it used to be you will have two thread showing which is fine. Be careful not to overtighten the bolt if it brakes Big problems. Spec shows 20ft/ib.  I used a small amount of anti-seize cap the bolt.

The hardest part was getting spare tire out. haha

Last week I changed the PS fluid by connecting it to return hose, Went well no issues.
Here are few pictures.

Back