• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Instrument back lights

ALBNTON

:help:
My 03 Z71 dash back lights and climate control lights stopped working and I replaced the rotary switch.  Sucks driving at night and I can?t monitor the key gauges.
Any Info to point me in the correct direction would great guys.  (y)
Would like to get this figured out before birthday next week cause going to mountains to play in the snow.

Well basic trouble shooting comes first; Is a fuse blown? The plug for the instrument panel on my '06 is located behind the cluster, the cluster can easily be removed by removing the large frame around the dash, it pops off, you'll have to lower the steering wheel to get it off and out of the way completely. Then some hex head screws hold the cluster in place, as you gently pull the cluster towards you look behind it and you'll see the plug arrangement. Check for trash and/or corrosion in both sides of the plug, the car side and the cluster side. Spray some contact cleaner in there and maybe swish it around with a soft parts cleaning acid brush (don't use acid, use contact cleaner and lube; it's available all in one can. Using a cleaner that has no lube leaves the contacts exposed to more corrosion. After this if you still don't have any lights I think you better get a test light with a sharp probe on it and a wiring diagram or figure out which wire powers the lights and follow it back until you get voltage... somewhere during that little search you should come across the problem.

Did you get it resolved?  How was your birthday trip?  Update us please.

Back