• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

(UPDATED) 02 Z71 Cruise Control stopped working. NO BRAKE LIGHTS

vett82

UPDATE: just changed brake switch - no change.

Have an 02 Z71 Cruise Control that stopped working. Has worked fine for years, but now the light won't set at dash and it won't engage. Nuttin's happening. Any insight on where to begin to figure this puzzle out?

brake switch at the pedal

Thats what i was thinking after reading some. Sounds like the "clip" can be a nightmare.

Will be hard to check for the next few days. Have no garage and am experiencing inundating rains. May have to wait till Mon. If those bulbs are bad, would that cause the cruise control not to work as well? When the parking or headlights are activated, both sides of the rear light up. I believe the tail lights consist of 4 bulbs (2 in each lens, per side). All 4 will glow, so I'm guessing bulbs will be good. Not sure if power is there though, when brake is depressed.

vett82 said:
... If those bulbs are bad, would that cause the cruise control not to work as well? When the parking or headlights are activated, both sides of the rear light up. I believe the tail lights consist of 4 bulbs (2 in each lens, per side). All 4 will glow, so I'm guessing bulbs will be good. Not sure if power is there though, when brake is depressed.

Yes.

The bulbs for the turn signals/brake lights/running lights have two elements inside them.

You can have the running lights portion work while the turn signal/brake light part is blown.

Turn signals are easy to test.

Turn on your head lights to turn on the running light portion and turn on the hazard flashers to turn on the turn signal/brake light portion and walk around and see if all of the bulbs are lighting as intended.

Your cruise control will also not work if your third brake light is not working properly.

Get someone to press on the brake and see if the third brake light is working properly.

UPDATED : I stand corrected. You were right. Even though they glowed with blinker or tail lights, an element was blown in them that wouldnt let brake lights ignite them. Just changed one for the hec of it with a bulb I had in garage and it works now. Thanks for your input about bulb characteristics. problem solved.

well, without pulling them to put new ones in just to make sure, I guess the bulbs are good. Because, all 4 bulbs light up when headlights or tail lights are turned on and the respective side blinks each side when demanded at the blinker switch.

I learned of the "problem" when I switched to led bulbs the night before a trip . No cruise but still had brake lights. Learned on this web site things happen. I put the same led in my 02 truck and the blinkers and dash lights went crazy.  I don't put LEDs in places they go anymore .

ckeene said:
I learned of the "problem" when I switched to led bulbs the night before a trip . No cruise but still had brake lights. Learned on this web site things happen. I put the same led in my 02 truck and the blinkers and dash lights went crazy.  I don't put LEDs in places they go anymore .

All of my exterior bulbs are LED except for the headlights and fogs which are HID.  You get what you pay for when it comes to LED's and you also have to use resistors for EACH bulb.  My front park/turn and DRL's alone cost me almost $200, similar for the rears and backup lights too. And the only time I ever had any kind of problems is when I tried cheaping out on Walmart LED's lol.

Back