• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dashboard issues normal?

mheff

Hello All,

I have looked at two different 2010 Avalanches for purchase. The common problem with both of them is the dash is cracked and rattles on every little bump. Has anyone had experience with this? Also, the second dealership said they are very expensive to replace and I am sure since the vehicle has been discontinued. I had a 2005 in the past and that dash as I remember was a different material and not this cheap plastic that is in the 2010. Any info would be appreciated.

I was going to say "welcome to the website" but according to your profile you joined  08/18/07. Must be the strong silent type of member..... :laugh:

There are several older threads about dashboard cracking and it does seem to strike the 2007+ second gen AVs more then the first gen AVs. It seems to be that way in Tahoes and Suburbans as well. My guess it's due to the "new design" of the interior since they are different between generations.
I don't remember how much it cost right now but it wasn't horrible in parts cost or time to change the top of the dash. Since it was around airbag stuff I had my dealer replace dash and they did it in a couple of hours.
This thread has 18 pages of info on dash cracking:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=121036.0

Sadly a design defect. Mixture of thermal changes and body flex. Even a replacement dash will eventually end up cracking. It's a laborious and time consuming process to remove and install because it's one big piece. There are still new GM OEM dashes for sale. eBay is an easy place to find them and cost roughly $600. Some owners have used a choice of glues to try and repair the dash back together.

Here's a video showing the removal process. The tech repairs the crack (in this case, a simple one) with plastic staple welds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRJMAk9jqjE

Be aware that GM did come out with an "improved" dash design found on later year models but they still failed just as badly. Most of the replacement stock that is available is of this new design. I got 10 years out of my dash when it finally cracked at the corner of the passenger airbag. Everything is still solid and no noise even in the coldest of days. I may live with it if it never changes. Hate to spend the money and time if it's just going to crack again and possibly worse.

I have looked at two different 2010 model for purchase and found the dash is cracked and rattles when driven. Each dealership doesn't seem to be bothered by it and says that happens with plastic dashboards. I take it this is common in the 2010 models at least. Does anyone have an idea the cost to repair? Thank you

Thanks for some replies and the video of repairing the crack. I joined this site when I first bought our used 05 Avalanche in 07. We purchased a new Hyundai in 17 and the biggest mistake I made was trading the Avalanche. I have thought about trying to find it but not sure if I want too. If it's still in good shape I would consider buying it back, so meanwhile we are looking at another Avalanche. Thanks you.

Depends on how helpful a dealership wants to be. I've seen prices from $800 to $2000 to replace the dash. Do you remember if the two you looked at had the center dash speaker?

Look at the "dash skin" website as they have the best covers, I replaced mine on my 2010 av and all is well.  The dealer replaced it first but did not order the correct one for a LTZ (additional factory speaker on dash for premium sound system).  I removed the newly installed incorrect cover, ordered one from dash skin and replaced.  Easy if you take your time and use plenty of RTV upon old dash vs on the bottom of the new skin, as its cleaner and less messy.

Prior to install I used 1 minute epoxy to secure all areas that may cause a rattle under the new cover.

It was $139.00 and a very high quality cover.  I'm trying to give away the perfectly good, pristine condition prior cover (black w/o front speaker configuration) but no bites.

Hope this helps

Back