• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 Avalanche egr???

Oldredtin

Where have they hide the egr on this vehicle. It's my last ditch attempt to admitting I need to change the intake gasket.  ? Thanx

Or is a MAP sensor the same as the EGR??

gm got rid of egr during 2002 model year only a very few built in 2001 had egr and these also had mechnicl throttle cables not electric

Thanks!! Looks like it's intake gasket next on the list then. Although then I get a day like yesterday with a blowing blizzard and she ran like a top. Lol

The early year Avalanches came with an intake manifold gasket that was known to start leaking vacuum.  I replaced my 03's several years ago.  Pretty much all of the replacements you can buy are a better design.

Wish I could say that for my 2500

I know they are prone to that. Was hoping to make it a summer job. Guess I'll be asking to borrow the shop on hopefully a half warm day. Any tips for when I do it. As in clips to make sure are undone so nothing breaks?? Thx

It's a pretty straightforward job.  You may want to do a search and consider doing the "dam" around one of the knock sensors when you've got the sensors exposed.

Why just the one knock sensor. And when I got the truck the shop Forman of the Chevy dealership here told me to pull the foam piece out of the front of the engine as it caused the knock sensors to fail faster as the foam held the moister in??

If you planning to replace the knock sensors yourself, replace both at the same time and also replace the wiring harness at that time, as well.

Also, replace these with only OEM replacement parts.

Some aftermarket sensors have been reported to fail shortly after installation and this is a job you do not want to redo in short order.

When you have the intake off and you are ready to tackle the knock sensors, you will clearly see that they are each mounted down in a hole and you will see the old foam dam piece that is supposed to help keep water out of the holes the sensors are mounted in.

There should be a rubber cap the harness wire goes through that helps to seal off that hole.

You can use the RTV to try and seal off those holes.

Building a dam out of RTV is something that others have recommended to attempt water from getting down in those holes in the future.

It has also been recommended to use Felpro intake gaskets.

Most new aftermarket gaskets should be of the new design, but it is certain the Felpro brand does the trick.

Thanks for the info. My truck I guess is guinea pig. My sons GMC Sierra needs the knock sensors replaced. My Avalanche has over 320,000 km and his truck just rolled over 410,000 so I guess they are due. Lol

Oldredtin said:
Thanks for the info. My truck I guess is guinea pig. My sons GMC Sierra needs the knock sensors replaced. My Avalanche has over 320,000 km and his truck just rolled over 410,000 so I guess they are due. Lol

:eek:  :love: :B:  (y)

If you do decide to seal up the knock sensors make sure you leave a vent of some sort or the expansion and contraction of the air will pop the seal on the knock sensors... You want to make sure that air has somewhere to go... I sealed mine up other than where the wire is. The plugs also shrink over time so any sort of sealing of them will eventually pop free regardless. So the damn is a good idea regardless of what else you do...

Rodney

Thx. I think google and YouTube are going to be our friend on this one. I see someone posted exploded parts breakdowns on this sight too that I've book marked. So nice to have the knowledge and resources.

Thanks to all. About a month ago had the intake gasket done and it was quite burnt. Tripped the catalytic codes so had them done as well. Now I can start fixing on other things. ?

Back