• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

08' LTZ 5.3 Truck DIES on HGWY no code except Engine Power Loss messge HELP!!!!

Mutt22

I will try an explain as best I can what has been done, the original issue, and the NEW LIFE THREATENING ISSUE.  If need more detail I can give you all I have and know just ask but I am no mechanic that's for sure.

Original Symptoms: truck would run fine in the a.m. on my way to work. After 3-4 hours get in the truck and drive to my destination for lunch or meeting then it would not restart back.  Leave it alone for 1-4 hours it would start back and run again. After work same thing, I would finally get it home and the next morning it would start fine again.  All gauges worked normally as this was going on and no codes were giving.  It has an O2 code and suspension system code that are keeping engine light on that I know about. But those I believe are unrelated to this nightmare. 

Fixes Attempt #1 (1st mechanic): replaced the fuel pump and filter. NEW ISSUES: The gas gauge stopped working, and still same starting issue "mechanic says it has to be the ECM/ECU or your gauge cluster" .......his advice....take the battery cables off when this occurs.....ground them together for 15 minutes and hook it back up and it would work until I could afford a new computer.  This seemed to work at 1st then it would not work at all and the truck would only start after being left alone for all night. I had to only start the truck every 8 hours or so.  Then it got to the point 8 hours was not enough time took it to an electrical mechanic.

Fixes Attempt #2 (2nd mechanic): he replaces the fuel pump because jack ass mechanic #1 broke it putting it in and the gauge cluster is fine and always was.  After replacing the new fuel pump he found that one of the connectors coming out from the bottom or area of the fuse box under the hood was loose or a harness was loose////something around there and for a day it started fine.  NEW ISSUES: now it DIES WHILE DRIVING on the highway.  No code except Engine power is Reduced.  Its as if it looses power or I am out of gas as weird as that may sound.  I can shake the harnesses around the fuse box and take battery cables off and put back on and it will start back for a few minutes then do it again????????  Where should I start with explaining this to the electrical mechanic???  Could it be the Crankshaft Sensor or is this simply a loose wire somewhere causing all this bull$&^#!!!!!!    PLEASE HELP funds are running out on labor at this point.  Thank You!!!

I wonder if it could be clogged catalytic converters?

Back