• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 Nav system update

HiHoStevo

Hello...

I am trying to determine the current update status on my 2013 Avalanche LTZ NAV system.

I have read some posters say that the 2013 is a Hard Drive system, not a DVD or Disc system?? 

Others claim that the 2013 is updated with a DVD disc...??

Which is correct?  If it is a hard drive based system, how is it updated?  (flash drive perhaps)

If it is a flash drive update, can those be purchased from a source other than GM?

Thank you

I don't evan use the navigation system on my 2013 Avalanche,  I use Garmin . You can update these for free & there systems are much better then the avalanche.

Well... I do like having the map in the dash screen... pity the screen is not a bit larger.

I did discover something interesting today... You can actually play a DVD movie on the screen in the front of the truck (as long as the truck is in Park)... now I am not sure why someone would want to watch a movie sitting in the cab of the truck on a 5" screen????

I could understand if this truck had the pull-down video screen in the back of the truck... which I do not.  Mine does have the sunroof, but did not come with the rear entertainment system... despite Edumunds saying that the sunroof and entertainment center was supposed to be a package on the 2013 Avalanche.

You would be surprised how many members over the years have asked how to override that safety feature.
Everytime the answer was why would we tell them how to put everyone near them in danger.

I believe that the 2013 Nav is different than the rest... It loads using a DVD into the hard drive, once loaded the disk is ejected.

The Nav System does update using a DVD according to GM.  It is quite strange, but my 2013 truck has a 2011 Nav Database installed..., which I find a bit bizarre.

I called into GM and the latest update they have for our 2013 trucks, is a 2015 database that they want $180 plus tax and shipping!  Eeek!

Just for grins and giggles, I put a DVD in the drive while the truck was sitting in the garage... and sure enough, it will play a movie on the little map screen in the dash..., as long as you leave the car in Park.  Now that is someone that is desperate to watch the movie before they can get the disc home!

Back