• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

OnStar app now will cost, Bummer

No Tyme

SM 2018
SM 2017
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
Is anyone else out there ticked off about GM making the OnStar app function only if you pay for it now? I really like it for the fact that if I lost my keys or locked myself out, which has happened, I could open the door and even start my engine for more that 70 feet away? GM is really getting money hungry.

No Tyme said:
Is anyone else out there ticked off about GM making the OnStar app function only if you pay for it now? I really like it for the fact that if I lost my keys or locked myself out, which has happened, I could open the door and even start my engine for more that 70 feet away? GM is really getting money hungry.
I haven't gotten an email about it. Got a link to the article? I know I love mine. On a cold night heading back to the work garage, I start my truck with my app so it will run 10 minutes as I'm getting back. Love that feature.

I haven't downloaded to my new phone but on the wifes phone when you open the app it states "OnStar Remotelink will be discontinued". I was talking to my salesman last month and he told me that I would have to start paying for it, something like $15 a month for the basic plan.
Do you have the OnStar Remote app on your phone? Try and open it.

When you download the "My Chevy" app and sign in there are NO remote start, door lock/unlock buttons. There is NO WAY I am gonna pay $15 a month to use this feature every now and then. Just another way for GM to get money from its consumers.

OK, well maybe I was wrong. I do remember my salesman saying that I would have to start paying for this service, but after calling OnStar they told me to log into the My Chevrolet app with my email address and not the user name that I have used for several years now. After logging in to My Chevrolet with my email address I did the same with the OnStar app, which also gave me the notice that there will not be any additional updates to it, then when I selected my vehicle I saw the remote start stop options like before.
It still does work. I only hope it works next time I need it.

No Tyme said:
OK, well maybe I was wrong. I do remember my salesman saying that I would have to start paying for this service, but after calling OnStar they told me to log into the My Chevrolet app with my email address and not the user name that I have used for several years now. After logging in to My Chevrolet with my email address I did the same with the OnStar app, which also gave me the notice that there will not be any additional updates to it, then when I selected my vehicle I saw the remote start stop options like before.
It still does work. I only hope it works next time I need it.
Glad you got it figured out. I started getting the OnStar app going away and I'm pretty sure I got an email about it also. I did download the My Chevy app and once I got logged in, the same command center shows up as the old app. My lease is due here in a few months so I get to go and change vehicles in the app.

ohiobellboy said:
Glad you got it figured out. I started getting the OnStar app going away and I'm pretty sure I got an email about it also. I did download the My Chevy app and once I got logged in, the same command center shows up as the old app. My lease is due here in a few months so I get to go and change vehicles in the app.

I no longer pay for OnStar after the one time I really needed it they refused to open my door. After I called the customer service folks on it they reviewed the tape and admitted the operator DID INDEED make a mistake, and they offered me 1 month extra to my service. To me this is just another money grab from GM who already is on my (you know what) list.
If I get a definitive answer on the issue of when we will have to start paying for it I will post.

No Tyme said:
I no longer pay for OnStar after the one time I really needed it they refused to open my door. After I called the customer service folks on it they reviewed the tape and admitted the operator DID INDEED make a mistake, and they offered me 1 month extra to my service. To me this is just another money grab from GM who already is on my (you know what) list.
If I get a definitive answer on the issue of when we will have to start paying for it I will post.
Sounds good (y)

I should never have to worry about it though. I'm at that point where I said the hell with fixing stupid stuff that breaks and just lease a new one every three years. Pretty sure they give the use of the app for at least 3 years free. I'm at 35 1/2 months into a 39 month lease and just rolled over 24k miles today. I put more miles on my bike than I do my truck.

GM made changes that dropped any phone that is not controlled by Google or Apple. I had a Blackberry and a Motorola, both ae unusable on Onstar ..  NOT GOOD

Actually GM has its own app now. If you download it it will open your doors and start your engine as the OnStar app did.

Back