• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dilemma of 2 Avalanches

patg

Like the title says I have a dilemma. I currently own a 2004 Z66 that I bought new and a 2012 LT that I bought in 2013. Since purchase I have been driving the 2012 daily while other family members have been using the 2004 for school and work commute, generally low yearly mileage. The 2004 now has 166K and the 2013 has 72K. Both vehicles have been very well maintained and are reliable. It now has come to the point where I no longer have a need for both. In many ways I like the 2004 better. I am seriously considering sinking a few dollars (interior, modern head unit, cosmetics) into the 2004 and turning it back into my daily driver and selling the 2012. I am not even beyond doing an engine overhaul on the 2004 or long block swap and I am well able to handle the job. Not that the engine needs it but I want to insure that I have a ultra reliable car for commuting. I live in the south so even the 2004 is nearly rust free and I never fight any corrosion issues doing regular maintenance.  I could go on with my thoughts ....  In the end, am I nuts considering keeping the older vehicle and putting a few dollars into it over keeping the 2012?

Less taxes.  If you have pay car taxes where you live.  Insurance cheaper. Would you have to do any work to the 12.  Or is she in good health. Save your self time and money, and keep 12.

I would keep both.

There will come a day that you wish you had.

Picking up another good one to replace the 2004 when it finally goes belly up is going to be a tough thing to do, as time goes by.

But, that's just me.

If ya need the money: Make more money selling the newer one.

But what is keeping you from keeping both?
They do not make these things anymore and maybe someday one or both of them could be worth good money when they become desired by auction buyers.

Since I changed DD I still keep my AVY in the garage and drive at least once a month

I would think that your feelings would be only natural since you have had the 2004 for 15 years or so and the 2012 for only 6 years. I'm sure you have built up more family memories in the 2004. If emotion is your main thought then go with whatever gets you excited or you family interest, ex. if you were to die which one would the family want to have as a family legacy vehicle? Would you be leaving them a fun vehicle or a can of worms that needs fixing etc.?
You did not mention if the 2004 was cladded or WBH and if cladded i would want to check under lower cladding for hidden rust as well as brake lines and fuel lines since many older AVs are starting to show signs of aging now.
Having an older vehicle also lends itself to parts availability problems and you may have trouble sooner with the 2004.
If you must sell one the 2012 would bring in more money I would guess which could off-set the cost of upgrades to your 2004.
The other alternative is to see if a family member could use the 2012 and would appreciate a family discount to take it over...

Only bad thing about older vehicles...?.  No matter how much you have put in yours or think it is worth - if someone comes along and totals it for you, their insurance (or your insurance if you're at fault) will not value it nearly as high as you.  Unless you can get your own insurance that will cover in all cases for a stated value, they will total it for the least amount that they can.  This could require specialty insurance in order to not lose your investment.

I have total of $12,500 in a 2001 Blazer with 99K miles, and only 35,000 miles since repairs, so far.  Everyone keeps hitting it - 4 times now in 4 years.  Fortunately no total so far.  But the value keeps coming down as it gets older.  I pray that I get the goodie out of my unexpected new engine and trans before something happens.  I'll feel that I drove my money out in another 35K.  Hopefully the body will hold out for several more years here in Northern Indiana, as wife isn't going to drive a rustbucket.  Already replaced the rear bumper from bubbled paint, and the spring shackles from rust through - but the rest still looks amazingly good.  Guess you don't buy much SUV for $12,500 these days and I always like the looks of these in this particular color.  Now just no more mechanical problems...?..  Insurance agent says value is currently $3500-$4000 So I feel would still be losing money if I have only driven out 1/2 of my investment ($6,250).  I'll feel I will be at break-even in a little over 1 more year.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.

p.s. my 2004 Z71 WBH Avalanche was kept all its life in Greeneville SC so no rust there.  It's still worth the 10K that I paid for it, according to my State Farm insurance agent.  A Z66 would be valued a couple of thousand less.

Attachments

• Blazer.jpg
    Blazer.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 3
All good and valid points. Not selling for the money.. just that we have 4 cars and 2 drivers. I already offered it to the kids for cheap and no takers. My son is a mechanic and he has too many car as well.  I have it on cars.com right now but will likely hold out for my price at 6.5k... if I don't get it then I will decide.

I do like how the 2012 rides but the one thing that really irks me is mine has the cracked dash issue. I really don't feel like replacing the dash and I don't think there is a good fix. I am also not all that impressed with the 2012 drive train technology. The 5.3 vortec in the 2004 seems almost bulletproof and much simpler should I need to swap or rebuild. Everything is cheaper to work on and replace and I am certain some investment now can make it go however long I want to drive it. The one comment though that does hit home is getting it totaled in an accident, the older it gets the better the chance of that happening.... then I would have no Avalanche and few options to get the one I want.

Tough decision.  Like others have said, keep 'em both if you can.  Also agree with 2004slickside re: the insurance but I think (don't know from personal experience) you can work with your insurance company to set a particular value on the 2004.  All that being said, I say keep the one you like the most.  It sounds like you are mechanically inclined and have maintained both pretty well.  These trucks have been known to last upwards of half a million miles judging from some of the posts on the site.  I for one appreciate the less complicated systems and looks of the older vehicles.  I also drive an '01 BMW 325i with 215,000 miles on it in addition to the '03 Avy that I use for winter/camping/hauling etc.  Personally I have no desire to buy anything newer as I don't like all the gadgetry that seems to cause problems in newer vehicles. 

Back