• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Installing New Speakers in 2002 Avalanche

triaker

I have decided to keep my truck for another 5-10 years, so an upgrade on the factory speakers seems a no-brainer.  I bought a pair of component speakers (FOCAL) and a pair of Kicker rear speakers. 

Do I need special adapters or do I just cut the wiring at the factory speakers and install new speakers?  Rears seem to be fairly straightforward, but the front ones are component and the 2002 Avalanche came without component speakers (pre-Bose). 

I am running a Sony Carplay Head unit.  Thanks for any advice and if there is a good install thread with pictures, that would be great.  Most of the threads people direct me to have either expired or the pics are no longer up.

2002 came with component speakers in front.
no crossover just a bass blocker in the tweeter wiring.
Wire comes from system to woofer where it has another set of wires that run to tweeter.

SO just use the one wire and connect to input to crossover of your new speakers and follow their directions.

And if you did not bypass the factory amp, do that too....

Link

So based on the recommendations from Crutchfield, I put in the supplied crossovers with the tweeters and the supplied crossover with the woofers as well.

Tackled back speakers first.  First speaker took 39 minutes to install.  Second speaker took 9 minutes!!

Front speaker first speaker took 1 hour 20 minutes.  Second speaker 20 minutes!  :)  And it sounds great.  Not getting the bass response I had hoped for, but my wife said she could hear the stereo clearly 30 feet away in the house, so maybe it's just me.  Glad this is done!

Back