• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Crazy random things!!

gearheadzero

:wave: So I bought my Avy about three months ago. First thing that still needs to be fixed is a hum from the front end. ( Mostly prominent 30mph and above) then about 2 weeks ago I replace the battery.. about a week after that the truck started acting crazy. Driving to work the doors tried to lock themselves, and the info center flashed a message. Then later that day when I left work to go home it started flashing different messages that things were wrong and lights started coming on. Speedo would drop out really fast, and it even seemed to shift hard between 1st and 2nd. So I stopped driving it for a week or so. Drove it today and it seemed better but the oil pressure gauge kinda dropped off slowly, then would start off normal when truck was shut off then started again. PLEASE someone help. I love this truck, I want to keep it.

To have so many odd issues like that I wonder if the new battery is bad or the alternator is failing.

Possibly. I was reading up. And I've seen a few things about a bad ground somewhere. And since I moved the cables changing the battery, I'm wondering if I enhanced the problem.

I agree with ca2kjet about this may be a problem with the new battery and/or the alternator.

I see you are from Ohio, so I assume the truck has seen some winter action out on the roads there.

There are several grounds on these trucks with some of them in areas that could contact salt and other weather.

There are several threads in this forum that discuss the location of these grounds and many users here discuss their efforts to locate and fix these.

Since many users have discussed weird electrical issues with these trucks that are often traced back to poor grounds, I think I would do my research in that area and make sure all of the grounds are healthy and intact.

Next, I would verify the battery is indeed healthy by having it LOAD tested.

New does not always mean good.

Test and verify.

The alternator can also be tested to verify good operation.

But, I would start with the grounds.

Back