• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

04 Avalanche electrical issue

Psaring

I have an 04 Avalanche 5.3 and last night on my way home the electronics started going crazy. The ABS started going off, half of the instrument cluster stopped working(just the fuel, battery, oil pressure, and temp) the speed and tach were still working. The message center came up "unknown driver, the radio stopped working, and the windows, seat heater, and lock buttons stopped working. Oh and the pass lock light came on and the red anti theft light on the radio started flashing. These electronics are acting like the key is in the off position but the truck continued to run and drive just fine. I'm not sure if it's a bad wire or just a fuse, maybe the ignition switch.....idk. if anyone has any insight on what may be happening....any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would have a good electrical shop check the whole AV for bad grounds etc. but many old post say many weird things can happen if the ignition switch goes bad so you may want to have that checked out first. Sometimes an old battery can cause issues too.
Good luck in your search for the problem.

any aftermarket electrical devices?
Such as:
radio Head Unit
Alarm
Remote Start?
dash cam
etc.

It does have a remote start and a bully dog tuner. Everything is now working fine today but I checked the bully dog for DTC's and it has P1626, U1026, U1064, U1301 which are all communication codes which i believe point to the ignition switch. I'm gonna start there and I'll post and let everyone know if this fixes it. If anyone had any other tips or experiences with this please post. I'll be replacing the ignition switch later this week.

Your remote starter could be causign issues...

I would think the remote start is more likely the issue than any sort of ignition switch issue. Especially if who ever installed it did not install it right and used T-taps or possibly crimp connections since either can come apart. And T-Taps are a bad idea regardless.

Rodney

The remote start was installed before I bought it and hasnt caused an issue until now, I did look at the wiring for it thanks to your comments on here and found that they just used electrical tape for the connections and it was indeed causing the issues. As soon as it started acting up again I started squeezing the tape and BAM it started working again. Thanks again (y)

Twisting and using electrical tape is worse than using crimps. You might want to try soldering those wires together then throwing the tape back over it to make it right.

And use Scotch +33 only.. That stuff is the best and won't come off unless you want it too.

I just posted a similar thread on my ?04 with a variation of your symptoms. I?m leaning towards the ignition switch for it intermittently switching drivers back and forth between Driver1 and Unknown Driver. What complicates my situation is I?m getting a cluster failure DTC but suspect I have more than one issue.

I?ll know more after I swap clusters.

Any DTCs?

Your issues are more likely due to a bad ground... Check for corrosion where ever your grounds connect to the body.

Back