• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Aux trans cooler hardlines

DCIV

I have an 05 and would like to add the aux trans cooler and use some factory hard lines, does anyone have the part number? I?ve looked online and my worry is that what I?m seeing is the hardlines that run to the radiator and that?s not what I want. So with risk of being flammed I am asking!

Thank you

Then what hard lines are you talking as that is all they had.

Lines that went to radiator

Factory never really had external tranny oil cooler. was always the one in the radiator.

Ygmn,

On my '03 2500, I believe one of the tranny hard lines goes to the right side of the radiator, which is the standard cooling package, and then another lines goes from the right side of the radiator to the auxiliary tranny cooler which is located in front of the radiator and comes with the towing package option (I think), and finally a lines from the aux cooler back to the tranny. 

From reading it seems the 6.0 had hardlines to an aux trans cooler on the 1st gens. Maybe I?m wrong or the post I read was.

Honestly I was just trying to do a trans cooler as easy as I could, maybe there is even a bender that has it all ready to so I don?t have to make the lines and bracket. I can do both...I would just like a plug and play solution.

If I were adding a cooler, I'd go aftermarket and plumb with hose.  Although the factory hybrid lines (meaning they are hose crimped onto tubes) fit nicely, the places the hose is crimped is usually where they leak.  In fact this morning when I crawled under mine to look at the way the aux cooler was plumbed, I noticed a crimp starting to weep.  And you could go with one of these unit with a built in fan so you wouldn't have to route hoses all the way up front.  You could keep the cooler underneath, back by the tranny.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13900/overview/

I added a Hayden Trans cooler a couple of years back. I too, was trying to find OEM hardliners and run them from the trans to the cooler, to radiator but came up short. Ended up just cutting top rubber trans line going into the radiator and ran it to the AUX cooler, then mounted the cooler in front of the radiator. I?ve been really happy with it. It?s made a big difference when towing in the summer. I attached a link to the cooler I purchased. I had to down to napa and buy addtl trans line, oil and the fittings to attach the hoses. I think all said and done I was only maybe $80 into it. Totally worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both great options. Thank you for posting. I figured I could just buy the lines from GM though. No?

I like the idea of a fan but not placing it where it could be hurt by something coming up from the road. I also like the idea of just cutting the lines but sucks to make two more spots where it could leak. I am a huge fan of setrab cores (use a huge oil cool one on my sports car), they actually tell you how many btu?s they are removing and it use to be what nascar uses (might still be).

So no one has a part number? If not then cutting the line and trying to hook something up to it will be my best bet.

Anymore options?

Coop

Well, I?m sure you can probably call the parts department at the dealership and let them know what you want to do. If they have experience they should be able to tell you which 5.3 setup came with an OEM aux trans cooler, then just be able to sell you the aux cooler and lines you need to install it. The reason I gave up was because I couldn?t get a straight answer from anyone. People shot me GM part numbers but there was no guarantee they were going to fit, as well as couldn?t find a diagram with Info on where to mount, and route the cooler and lines. Granted, I didn?t put that much time into it. I needed my rig for summer towing and only had like 3 weeks to make it work which is why I gave up on the OEM idea, but if you?re willing to put in the time and effort go the OEM route if that makes you more comfortable.

As far as leakage, I installed the cooler June of 2017 and haven?t had any seepage anywhere yet, I actually just looked a few ago when I did some maintenance.

Back