Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aux trans cooler hardlines  (Read 160 times)

DCIV

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
Aux trans cooler hardlines
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:54:08 AM »

I have an 05 and would like to add the aux trans cooler and use some factory hard lines, does anyone have the part number? Iíve looked online and my worry is that what Iím seeing is the hardlines that run to the radiator and thatís not what I want. So with risk of being flammed I am asking!

Thank you

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
Re: Aux trans cooler hardlines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:36:03 AM »

Then what hard lines are you talking as that is all they had.

Lines that went to radiator

Factory never really had external tranny oil cooler. was always the one in the radiator.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Jodiesel

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:41:36 AM »

Ygmn,

On my '03 2500, I believe one of the tranny hard lines goes to the right side of the radiator, which is the standard cooling package, and then another lines goes from the right side of the radiator to the auxiliary tranny cooler which is located in front of the radiator and comes with the towing package option (I think), and finally a lines from the aux cooler back to the tranny. 
03 Avalanche 2500
16 XSR900
15 Raptor 700R
75 Wife

DCIV

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »

From reading it seems the 6.0 had hardlines to an aux trans cooler on the 1st gens. Maybe Iím wrong or the post I read was.

Honestly I was just trying to do a trans cooler as easy as I could, maybe there is even a bender that has it all ready to so I donít have to make the lines and bracket. I can do both...I would just like a plug and play solution.

Jodiesel

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 13:39:59 PM »

If I were adding a cooler, I'd go aftermarket and plumb with hose.  Although the factory hybrid lines (meaning they are hose crimped onto tubes) fit nicely, the places the hose is crimped is usually where they leak.  In fact this morning when I crawled under mine to look at the way the aux cooler was plumbed, I noticed a crimp starting to weep.  And you could go with one of these unit with a built in fan so you wouldn't have to route hoses all the way up front.  You could keep the cooler underneath, back by the tranny.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13900/overview/
03 Avalanche 2500
16 XSR900
15 Raptor 700R
75 Wife

Chevymike2003

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 16:30:58 PM »

I added a Hayden Trans cooler a couple of years back. I too, was trying to find OEM hardliners and run them from the trans to the cooler, to radiator but came up short. Ended up just cutting top rubber trans line going into the radiator and ran it to the AUX cooler, then mounted the cooler in front of the radiator. Iíve been really happy with it. Itís made a big difference when towing in the summer. I attached a link to the cooler I purchased. I had to down to napa and buy addtl trans line, oil and the fittings to attach the hoses. I think all said and done I was only maybe $80 into it. Totally worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 Honda Accord Sport (Daily)
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
2005 Fleetwood Terra 32S
2003 Avalanche
2002 Polaris Genesis
2001 Bayliner 215
285/75R16 Hercules Trail Digger Tires
16 Metal Moto Rims
Leveling Torsion Keys with Shock Extenders
Rancho Shocks
Air Lift Air Bags
Spectra CAI
MSD Ignition Wires
Dual 10" Underseat subwoofers
2500 Tow Mirrors
In Dash Touchscreen Head Unit
5% Tint all the way around
Flowmaster Muffler
HID Low Beam
High Fog Lights
52in Curved Lightbar
CB Radio
PA System

DCIV

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 18:00:46 PM »

Both great options. Thank you for posting. I figured I could just buy the lines from GM though. No?

I like the idea of a fan but not placing it where it could be hurt by something coming up from the road. I also like the idea of just cutting the lines but sucks to make two more spots where it could leak. I am a huge fan of setrab cores (use a huge oil cool one on my sports car), they actually tell you how many btuís they are removing and it use to be what nascar uses (might still be).

So no one has a part number? If not then cutting the line and trying to hook something up to it will be my best bet.

Anymore options?

Coop

Chevymike2003

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 21:07:42 PM »

Well, Iím sure you can probably call the parts department at the dealership and let them know what you want to do. If they have experience they should be able to tell you which 5.3 setup came with an OEM aux trans cooler, then just be able to sell you the aux cooler and lines you need to install it. The reason I gave up was because I couldnít get a straight answer from anyone. People shot me GM part numbers but there was no guarantee they were going to fit, as well as couldnít find a diagram with Info on where to mount, and route the cooler and lines. Granted, I didnít put that much time into it. I needed my rig for summer towing and only had like 3 weeks to make it work which is why I gave up on the OEM idea, but if youíre willing to put in the time and effort go the OEM route if that makes you more comfortable.

As far as leakage, I installed the cooler June of 2017 and havenít had any seepage anywhere yet, I actually just looked a few ago when I did some maintenance.

2017 Honda Accord Sport (Daily)
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
2005 Fleetwood Terra 32S
2003 Avalanche
2002 Polaris Genesis
2001 Bayliner 215
285/75R16 Hercules Trail Digger Tires
16 Metal Moto Rims
Leveling Torsion Keys with Shock Extenders
Rancho Shocks
Air Lift Air Bags
Spectra CAI
MSD Ignition Wires
Dual 10" Underseat subwoofers
2500 Tow Mirrors
In Dash Touchscreen Head Unit
5% Tint all the way around
Flowmaster Muffler
HID Low Beam
High Fog Lights
52in Curved Lightbar
CB Radio
PA System
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.