• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Elephant in the room.. let's talk about it.. HOW TO WORK UNDER HOOD

tdsj

Ok let's talk about the elephant in the room. Namely the size of the avalanche. I'm not exactly a tiny person in my opinion. But trying to work topside on the engine is a task. Step up on the bumper. Then crawl into the front where the hood latches. (Very uncomfortable on the knees) so how do you guys deal with it? Step stool? Or? Oh I'm 5'8" like I said not tiny. But I'm no lumber Jack either.

I use a step stool.  I have seen a step type thing that sits on the tire

frito said:
I use a step stool.  I have seen a step type thing that sits on the tire

I seen them steps you're talking about. Wondering how far in I could reach with one of them. Also wondering if it's big enough to fit over a good year Wrangler ats tire. The more beefy tire size of the 265/70/17

I installed a new windshield wiper motor and both heater hose quick disconnects a couple of weeks ago.

This big ol' boy was not made to sit on top of an engine to work on things.

Come back and talk to me after you have done that.

:laugh:

I do not own one but you can do a google search for products like this that should help you work on the AV....

Attachments

• elevator.jpg
    elevator.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 25
another shot with nothing in the way....

Attachments

• elevator1.jpg
    elevator1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 5
I use a a painters step stool (Werner AP20-MP6). It is a little on the tall side but I am only 5 ft 6 and
I don't like to lean on paint so it works good for me.

Vaeagleav said:
I do not own one but you can do a google search for products like this that should help you work on the AV....
I forgot about those.  I saw an add for that a few years back.  It is definitely cool and a great idea.  I'm just afraid I might fall asleep while working.  :laugh:

Back