• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

3rd Project of 5 Done to Update My Avalanche. But I need YOUR help!

triaker

So after deciding to keep the old Avy for another 10 years, I set out to make it a better truck.

Project One:  Upgrade Stereo to include Carplay and double DIN.  DONE.

Project Two:  Upgrade tires to better grip tires for our country snowy roads.  Even got a $100 discount per tire.  DONE

Project Three:  Upgrade Factory Speakers to better speakers.  Took longer than expected, but new speakers sound great!  DONE!

Project Four:  Currently ordered new two-tone leather seat replacements for all seats.  Will be here in 3 weeks and my leather guy is lined up and ready to go (I'd rather pay for this to be done!)

Project Five:  FIX all the broken bits.  This is where I need some ideas. 
  A:  You know that flappy thing on the floor by the midgate?  Mine broke.  Ideas on getting replacement???
  B:  Also, interested in maybe replacing the 3 panels with a Bakflip.  Anyone done that? 
  C:  Next is adding aux rear backuplights (saw a good video on this so I'm looking forward to tackling this soon). 
  D:  Lastly, I want to put in a set of LED lights for the back bed so I can see all the stuff that I got from Costco when I get home at night.  Any ideas for removing the side panels in the back (or can they even be removed?

As always, I am greatly indebted to all your amazing knowledge.

Good luck with the flappy thing.  It is broken on almost every truck.  Odds are if you find one in a junk yard it will be broken and they are about $300 new.  I finally gave up trying to replace mine.  I have seen one member with a back flip at nationals a couple years back but he is not very active here.  All in all it was nice.  The only thing I didn't care for is that when all panels are up it it obstructs the back window and it is a bit more a hastle to remove the who thing if you want the midgate down and windo out.

Most of the fixes you are asking about have been done and discussed in older threads. You might look in sections for each to see. Many members have added bed lighting and only a few had to remove the inside bed panels to do so. Some lighting is run off the AV electrical and others are separate battery power which is fine if you only use the lights on rare occasions. Usually they just mount the lights under the side upper drip trays so they are out of the way.
I agree with frito, no real advantage to a Backflip and older threads talk about them since they got a lot of press when new but you may find them hard to find for an AV now.

Your signature says yours is an '02. In that case, you should have cargo lights on both sides. As Vaeagleav said, most people just get some strips and mount them under the drip rails. You can sneak the wire in past the factory light and tie into it there on each side. I'm pretty sure the '02 has a negative trigger or ground trigger on those cargo lights like the later models. Didit can verify that. You can add a small cargo switch/proximity switch/ pin switch or mercury switch to the tailgate area to turn those lights on from outside the cab. Tap into the ground side of the factory cargo light wire, run it to a switch and the other side of the switch to ground. There should be constant 12v at that light now, when you push the button in the cab, it completes the ground side of the circuit which turns the lights on.

The wiring diagram below is when I added the second light to my '04 which did not come with one on the passenger side.

Attachments

• Cargo Light wiring.jpg
    Cargo Light wiring.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC04629.JPG
    DSC04629.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 15
Once again you guys come through!!  I think I agree with you, keep with the old panels and just really fix 'em up with restoration and rejuvenation!  And great suggestions for the bed lighting.  I got two strands that have 4 lights on them, so I'll just figure out a way to use the old wiring and tap into that so the bed is really well-lit.

Now to figure out how to fix the giant crack in my bumper.  I'm thinking something like JB Weld on the inside and clamp it together.  :)

Back