• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Parts interchange between generations

carnut

PM 2018
So, after just shy of 300k miles, I've decided to start looking for a new to me 2nd generation Avalanche. Specifically a 2009-2013 LT, hopefully with Z71 option. My '02 has seen better days, and while it is my daily driver, I am starting to be concerned about major breakdowns and major rust issues.
So my question is this; what parts interchange between the first and second generations. I know the vast majority of the truck is different, but I am wondering if the following parts can be swapped over:

Skid plates (Z71)
interior bed side panel for second light
three bed cover panels
bed tie downs
rear window (I have a spare)
17" Z-71 wheels
sunvisors, (because i REALLY like the dual visors)
articulating headrests
My Kenwood DDX9703S stereo
6.5" kenwood speakers

Also, are the sail panels, side box lids and third brake light panels different other than color? I have a set of those too.

I plan on keeping my brush guard and billet grill in case i ever pick up another 1st gen with cladding.

I know there was a change on the front mounting mechanism on bed panels 1.  You could probably take front brackets off the current truck and replace them on a GEN 2 but I'm not positive.  I thin k the sails, panels, tool boxes, third brake light, except for color as you mention, are the same through 2012.  201$ went with body color Escalade panels, etc.

Not sure on skid plates since frame changed in 2007.
Side bed panel should fit but you will need to run power to that side, may be easier to just improve cargo light with aftermarket LED?
frito is right they changed the mount and latch system on second gen Avs near the rear window so you may need mounts on panel and bed to get them to work properly.
Bed tie downs should be interchangeable first gen movable, second gen fixed bracket.
Rear window should fit either gen.
Wheels should fit I believe.
Not sure about sin visors, the second gen does slide out to block sun.
Not sure about headrests.
Stereo and speakers may have to have different connections since your 2002 is a unique year for electrical stuff on an AV, hopefully one of the electrical gurus on this site will respond soon.
frito is also correct about upper cladding, it is universal from first gen to second, just color differences. Third brake light is different type and may have to be connected differently to harness in second gen due to wiring differences between 2002 and what ever year you buy.

Thanx for the response and info. At least now I know my spare rear window will come in handy if I buy the Av I looked at today. More on that in my next subject post.

Back