Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifters & Rocker Arms  (Read 180 times)

dna9656

Lifters & Rocker Arms
« on: April 2, 2019, 17:35:22 PM »

What is a good brand of lifter? AC delco has OEM for less than $20.00 each and another P/N that's as much as $35.00 each? What's the difference between the 2? I have seen lifters for as little as less than $5.00 each (ewww! That's too cheap!) and up to $35.00 each. I want some roller rocker arms too; I need an exp. recommendation please. VIN 3GNEK12ZX6G101883. Flex Fuel Engine.
2006 Chevy Avalanche,Z71, Upgraded to 4L65 E 2007 Standard 17" Chevy wheels but not the right year or style, new tires, exhaust, U joints, shocks, rear axle bearings and seals. New Driver's seat belt.  2007 Chrysler Sebring, 7  Yamaha motorcycles 6 Venture Royales 1 Road Star, 2 run, others for parts. 2 dachshunds, 1 house. 1 wife.

enoniam

• LS Fest 2017
Re: Lifters & Rocker Arms
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »

The OEM lifters are pretty good.  The more expensive ones are probably the "Cadillac" lifters which are good at higher RPM.  But why are you looking at replacing the lifters?  You've got to pull the heads on these LS engines to replace the lifters - it's not as easy as on earlier small block chevy's.

As far as rockers, I'm running Comp's roller-tipped 1.8 ratio rockers in my 2000 Corvette.  I'm pleased with them.
2003 with ATK 460 HP 6.0, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and true dual 3" exhaust, Truetrac rear, 3200 Circle D Stall, tranny upgraded with 4L65 and other heavy-duty parts, Weld Racing 18x10 forged wheels, HPTuners custom tune, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster, DeatschWerks booster fuel pump, 58#/hr injectors, 13.3 @ 101 in the quarter mile.

dna9656

« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »

Well I got rid of the valve lifter clack-clack noise yesterday. I put a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in the crank case (it was a Qt. low to start with) and ran the already warm engine for 15 minutes at 1200 RPM. I got changes in the sound, it became less loud but didn't go away. I put some transmission fluid in a squirt bottle and squirted about 3 oz. into the pipe that goes from the rear of the driver's side valve cover over to the middle of the intake area. I was told this was a PVC pipe, I was also told this engine uses an internal PVC valve and that my heavy smoking on a cold start or after it sets f10 minutes to an hour. It's not coolant, it has the heavy oily smell (coolant smoke/steam smells nothing like oil smoke) it's most defiantly oil. My oil consumption is way up. I figured it was the valve seals, I used BG's Engine performance enhancer (an oil flush product) to get rid of the lifter noise, that didn't work but VERY soon after that the oil smoke on startup began; I thought the BG flush stuff wrecked the valve seals. I didn't leave the oil flush in the engine, I followed the instructions to the letter and finished up with changing the oil. This morning I read that the PVC system can cause oil to be drawn into the intake manifold; and that there is a TSB out on this issue. I got an estimate to replace the engine from a very reputable shop here and they included a new valve cover is necessary; apparently the cover's built-in PVC plugs up. So before i go through all the crap of changing valve seals I'm going to brake lean all the crap out of the driver's side valve cover.
2006 Chevy Avalanche,Z71, Upgraded to 4L65 E 2007 Standard 17" Chevy wheels but not the right year or style, new tires, exhaust, U joints, shocks, rear axle bearings and seals. New Driver's seat belt.  2007 Chrysler Sebring, 7  Yamaha motorcycles 6 Venture Royales 1 Road Star, 2 run, others for parts. 2 dachshunds, 1 house. 1 wife.

dna9656

« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »

I decided to buy one because I don't want to take it off again for this silly, stupid reason. You would thing GM would have so idea of how to build an engine after who knows how many millions they have built in the past. It's beyond my thinking why they would integrate the PCV system into the valve covers and  intake manifold. There's STILL a hose involved. I can't find out for sure if the engine uses a PVC valve at all, some parts houses sell them and others don't. Thanks for your answer; I posted a few times before and got very little or no response. I really appreciate the input!

dna9656

« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2019, 05:42:24 AM »

To recap I added Marvel Mystery oil (MMO), ran it for 15-20 minutes and the noise changed but did not stop. I squirted trans fluid into the PVC hose while the engine continued to run. The noise soon stopped. Now, was it the trans fluid in the PVC or did the MMO finally do it's job? I changed the plugs, plug wires valve cover, oil and filter. While I was doing this I also ram-rodded the the push rods with some 14" (or so) pipe cleaner through the oil hole in the rocker arms. I felt the pipe cleaner bottom out, while at the same time I squirted Berrymans B-12 down the same hole and down along the push rod trying to get some solvent down to the lifters. The old plugs were wet with oil, not unexpected but also explains progressively harder starting. The gap on 2 or 3  was wide as well. After a test ride the lifter noise came back, I do not understand that. I thought the MMO or trans fluid cleaned the crap/varnish out of the too small oil holes in the lifters/push rods. Well I squirted more trans fluid in the PVC pipe after the short ride and the noise did not stop so apparently it's the MMO, I just didn't wait long enough? So tonight I will add 10% MMO after draining 10% of the oil and see what happens. You can add up to 20% of MMO to your total oil capacity and run it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 19:29:51 PM by dna9656 »

dna9656

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 19:37:23 PM »

So the MMO didn't do the trick for me, I got some Lucas White bottle "oil stabilizer" a viscosity improver and cleaner, no luck, I got the same racket from the lifter. I priced lifter replacement kits, comes with new lifters, intake and head bolts and gaskets, push rods, Maybe rocker arms too,with exhaust manifold gaskets. Can anyone in the club help me with a KIT part number for all that is needed/. Also I have read that the club recommends that the knock sensors and the knock sensor wire harness be replaced with AC Delco P/N'ed knock sensors and wire harness, does anyone have these P/Ns?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.