• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing bed gutters anyone?

marzahld

SM 2022
PM 2018
SM 2015
After reading several posts about removing the bed gutters, I saw several that said they were easily removable in seconds with a flathead screwdriver.  While I could see the 2 obvious plastic rivets for the 2 rear "short gutters", I'll admit I'm at a loss for what to do after that?  Can anyone guide me to a drawing or post that shows where the other "clips" are that I should take out to get the gutters out?  Most posts say that they are mounted to the metal rails on either side, but when I did a quick check on mine, I was at a loss for where these clips are and how many more of them exist.
Many thanks!

Following my own post here for the next guy (this info is hard than you think to find), and since a lot of folks have had their gutters split apart, its best to know what you are doing before you start tugging away.

To remove gutters:

1) Remove the (downstream) shorter collection troughs right by the tailgate.  Each one has 2 plastic pushpin anchors (pull the plastic center pin out first).  The bottom pushpin ones are best done before you remove your panels as its tough to see with daylight beaming at your eyes.  I found a paint can opener works well for this
2) The long gutters come out by pushing the gutter down towards the bed relatively hard.  There are 6 metal attachment points.

See pics:

Attachments

• 0406191429_HDR_QR.JPG
    0406191429_HDR_QR.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 0406191430_HDR_QR.JPG
    0406191430_HDR_QR.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 41
Thank you for the write up and the pics  (y)

I bought mine from GMpartsdirect, I have a 2007 LTZ not sure if the first generation are the same.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2007/chevrolet/avalanche/ltz-trim/5-3l-v8-flex-engine/body-cat/interior-trim-quarter-panels-scat

Also don't know if those gutters are expensive or not... but FWIW, a lot of people have just been taping those cracked gutters with black gorilla tape.  If you do it neat, you'll never know it was there.

Back