• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking at an 2008

c5loadder

Good morning new member here, looking at a used 2008, has 132k miles, looks clean, leather, sunset orange, have not driven it. How are these for towing a car hauler and car? It would not get used every day and we are in Delaware (relatively flat) so not like trucking up big hills. I have heard some pros and cons, seems like resale is not the greatest. Just trying to gather some info, they are asking $13,600

Thanks

Welcome to the site.

Before purchasing, make sure you study up on the problems that plague some of the early second generation Avalanche owners.

Primarily engine problems with the AFM or Active Fuel Management system, also known as DOD or Displacement on Demand, that was introduced in 2007.

This site and the Internet are full of discussions of the issues people have had and are having with the AFM system in mostly 2007 and 2008 models.

For the most part, it would appear that 2009 to 2013 models seem to have fewer problems as GM may have corrected some of the shortcomings of that system.

The more drastic method to remedy the problems of this system appear to be the replacement of the cam, lifters and other AFM related engine parts and the tuning out of the AFM commands in the computer.

For me, that would be enough for me to look for a later model truck, unless I found a older truck that checked all of the boxes and I was willing to invest the time and money to fix the engine.

But, then again, there have been owners of those two models that report having no issues at all.

Yet.

Best of luck finding the truck that meets your needs.

(y)

When looking at any used vehicle you need to be concerned with the history of the individual vehicle (Has it been well maintained? exposed to extreme weather? Flooded out or in an accident? etc...) and remember that things like CarFax may not show all of a vehicle's history since if the owner failed to fix it or had repairs done at a small shop it may not be on the report.
Then also as far as problems you need to consider that most people don't post that they drove their vehicle today and nothing bad happened. It could be that the minority gets vocal and complains a lot trying to find a solution. Sites like this have many many threads about high mileage, multiple AV owners and hopes for new models in the future.
As far as towing that can be hard to answer without without more info, how much does the tow hauler and car weigh? Does it exceed the recommended capacity of that specific AV? Things like rear gearing can affect capacity as well as having a transmission cooler.
Some AV owners have increased the towing ability with mods like above and installing a Magnussen supercharger which doesn't stress the motor or have much affect on gas mileage.
Check sites like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com to check on good pricing based on features on the AV and your local market conditions.

Also welcome to the website!

He's in line with NADA, at 14,1 or so, and some of those other comments I don't know, haven't driven it so don't have the door plate or glove box data plate available, and thanks.

And what exactly is Black Diamond on these? It's advertised as a Black Diamond edition!!

Mike

Black Diamond is the special designation for the last year of the AV (2013) and applies to all colors made that year. It had special badging, came with a book about the history of the AV and had painted upper cladding and large third brake light from the Cadillac EXT.

Vaeagleav said:
Black Diamond is the special designation for the last year of the AV (2013) and applies to all colors made that year. It had special badging, came with a book about the history of the AV and had painted upper cladding and large third brake light from the Cadillac EXT.

So it wasn't in 2008, he is advertising it as a Black Diamond!!

You are right, no other year was a Black Diamond. The badges were only on vehicles of 2013 but you could buy the smooth painted upper cladding for a couple of years before that, some members bought Cadillac parts and installed on earlier AVs too.....You can also find used AVs with SS emblems but there was never a factory SS AV.

And some members here added the round Black Diamond badge to their older Avalanches.

All of the 2013 Avalanches were true Black Diamond Editions from the factory, but not all Avalanches with a Black Diamond badge are a true Black Diamond Edition.

If it isn't a 2013, it isn't a real Black Diamond.

Back