Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAAP SS Tubular Side Steps  (Read 3537 times)

Lieutenant5

• Courage is the answer!
MAAP SS Tubular Side Steps
« on: February 4, 2003, 06:40:07 AM »

Before I picked up my AV from the dealer, I specified that I wanted stainless tubular side steps installed.  This particular dealership outsources these types of jobs to a shop just down the road from the dealership.  The installed the MAAP side steps on the vehicle.  They look great and they help a lot with getting in and out of the truck.  However, I am now noticing some rust appearing around the black plastic step pads on the steps.  Since it is stainless steel, I know it can't be the steps themselves rusting.  Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the rust and how I can fix it?  
Sig Pic removed Exceeded file size limit of 30kb

'05 Dark Blue Metallic - - - Color Match LUND Bug Deflector, Color Match AutoVentShade In-Channel Vent Visors, MAAP Stainless Steel Side Steps, Chevrolet Molded Mud Flaps, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Custom Bowtie by Carriles, Custom Z71 Decals by TribalAV, additional decals by TribalAV, XM Roady, Uniden Scanner, Whelen Dash Miser Plus II Stobe light, Whelen SlimLighter LED light.

j75player

« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2003, 20:30:07 PM »

i used to work for a truck accessory store, i sold lots of those bars from maap,also steelhorse. its the clips that hold the pads to the bar, thay are not ss. any rust that you see you should be able to just polish off. we used wizards metal polish, looks like cotten candy in a can but works great! if you REALY want, you could get a new set of clips from anyplace that sells mapp, buy a can of spray on bedliner, and spray the clips b4 install.

otherwise, just polish them every so often. i have the same bars on my av

8)

Terminator

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • Avalanche, the ultimate vehicle!
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2003, 02:11:13 AM »

Since it is stainless steel, I know it can't be the steps themselves rusting.  Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the rust and how I can fix it?  

Oh, yes it can!

The corrosion resistance of stainless steel is based on the formation of a very thin passive layer on its surface. Corrosion occurs when this passive layer is destroyed.

People believe that Stainless Steel is rust proof.  Not so.  It is rust resistant.  All you have to do it damage the surface and rust will begin.  Even if not damaged, it will eventually wear away and rust will begin.
2003 1500 Victory Red Z71 4X4 On-Star, Heated Leather, TV/DVD/Playstation(12/02). Mods: Line-Of-Fire, Silver stars, Xenon 885 Fog, Mud Flaps, Air Dam, Bug Deflector, Catch-All floor mats, Rostra Safe-vue, White Knight Backup Lights, Fram SD-4 oil drain valve, Weatherflectors, Poron Micro 3 Backup, Street Pilot III, Streamline Design Decals, LED Flashlight, K&N Oil & Air filter, Amber DRL

Lieutenant5

• Courage is the answer!
« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2003, 06:06:38 AM »

When I get a free weekend, I think I'll take the Av back to the place that installed the steps and talk to them about it.  Hopefully, they will be able to help me out a bit and keep me from doing any unnecessary additional maintenance to my Av.  It's black, so I'm going to be busy enough as it is trying to keep it looking nice.  

Thanks for your help.  If there are any other suggestions, please continue to post here.
Sig Pic removed Exceeded file size limit of 30kb

'05 Dark Blue Metallic - - - Color Match LUND Bug Deflector, Color Match AutoVentShade In-Channel Vent Visors, MAAP Stainless Steel Side Steps, Chevrolet Molded Mud Flaps, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Custom Bowtie by Carriles, Custom Z71 Decals by TribalAV, additional decals by TribalAV, XM Roady, Uniden Scanner, Whelen Dash Miser Plus II Stobe light, Whelen SlimLighter LED light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 26 queries.