• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Problems

The quick answer would be NO.......
There are really too many variables to make a quick answer though. In areas such as water leakage in the cab factors such as the removable rear window and folding midgate are areas where it can occur which would not be found on the the vehicles you mention. same as a sunroof will leak or have mechanical issues over a solid roof.
When it comes to drive-train and suspension type things you are pretty much looking at the same vehicle and they are no better or worse than each other.

I always advise new people to mot get fixated on the "problems" section of a website otherwise you will get worried about the minority of complaints of any vehicle.
You should try and balance out the reading with the other posts that talk about high mileage ownership, multiple vehicle ownership or the yearly posts where someone hears that a third gen AV is coming out.
I drove Suburbans for 16 years before my first AV and now have 16 plus years in AVs and I would NOT hesitate to buy another AV or Suburban. I do have concerns buying a used vehicle in general if I don't know it's history of maintenance or damage.....

I had way more issues with water intrusion with my former 1999 Suburban than I ever have had with my 2004 EXT.

I had the Suburban for 10 years and over that time, it was in the dealer service department several times for massive water intrusion in the rear area of the truck.

I drove that truck without the carpet and pad in the back for longer than I care to remember.

They replaced the entire rear weather stripping for a barn door Suburban (not cheap) and even replaced the roof mounted third brake light (also not cheap) just trying to fix the problem.

They would have one tech running a water hose all over the back of the truck while another tech sat inside looking for leaks.

When they did not ever see a leak, they would call it fixed and have me come pick it up and pay my tab.

It got so bad, cost me so much money and was never fully resolved and made me never go back to the dealer ever again.

I had the truck in another service department looking at a different issue and while we were under the truck looking at the problem I was wanting to have fixed, I told the service tech what had been going on at the other dealer.

He told me to step back a bit, then he reached up under the rear passenger wheel well and pulled off the duck bill drain cover for the rear air conditioner.

Several gallons of water poured out onto the ground.

He told me that should fix the problem and it did for as long as I owned that Suburban.

Point is, not all problems are caused by major things and sometimes it just takes a bit of common sense and experience to make things better. 

The rear window frame will crack. I have owned 3, and it happened to all. The good thing is its easy to fix with some rtv, and it never caused any leaks - its just the frame, not the window. Id say my biggest problem is letting go. Drove a few new silvy and sierras with the 6.2 plus a couple tahoes, and I simply can't trade it in - it just rides better. I would always trade every 2-3 years until this truck. I have met too many people with the same story: "I had an avalanche, wish I would have kept it..."

Back