• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Quickly wearing rear brake pad and rotor

AVernon0

So looking through my invoice history I see that my rear brakes have been replaced twice in just over a year.

Rear driver side seems to wear the inside pad much quicker than the passenger side. The calipers have all been replaced and slide pins cleaned and lubed back up.

I'm wondering with the active brakes kicking in with the traction control that it doesn't fully release the caliper like it would with simple brake pedal usage.

Or... faulty caliper? I also don't have rear backing plates as they like to get eaten away by the salt up here in NNY. But given it is the one particular side that is wearing more often than the other I'm not thinking this is a big contributor.

Last brake replacement was back in December and previous to that was February 2018.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.  Not sure it is relevant - but, to help others troubleshoot, what year, model and miles on the Avalanche?

I can only think of a stuck caliper for what you are describing.  (I have owned a 2003 Z-71 for for 15 years, and a 2013 Z-71 for a year).

Again, welcome  :welcome:

how many miles?

And yes rear on ayys tend to wear first.

Yea, all that might be helpful. ?

2005 1500 Avy. Z71 4wd w/active brakes, 192k miles

That caliper was replaced back in September by a shop.

Has anyone had issues with the anti-rattle clips/slide hardware causing a pad to stick?

I hate replacing calipers, but given the one I replaced hasn't had an issue I may end up having to do that as well to know it was done right. But just looking at possible suggestions at this point.

Sometimes the hoses collapse inside and you never know until this type of thing happens, some thing to check.  R.

One thing I've noticed over the years of brake jobs is that the notches that are cut into the backing on the brake pads that slide over the guides are not always cut clean and require filing so the pad slides smoothly over it. If it hangs up it can cause the pads to not wear evenly..

Some have said it's because of cheap pads, but I don't buy cheap, I've seen this on Bendix, Hawk, EBC and others..

As far as rear pads wearing quicker than the front, I've had the opposite on my 2500. I repalced the first set on the rear at 146,000 and the next time with about 100,000 miles on them. The fronts unsally need changing between 45,000 to 50,000 miles..

Attachments

• Brake Hardware.png
    Brake Hardware.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 8
Back